Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:23:49 -0500
From:         Steve Delasalle <sdelasal@yahoo.com>
Subject:      A happy end to the Ball Joint Saga..

Prior to my last post, I'd had lot of grief using a pickle fork to remove the ball joint. I borrowed the ball joint tool from autozone - and that was way way too big.

After my last post on this subject & following up some of the good advice ...here's what happened..

Borrowed a 'Pitman Arm Puller' OEM 27016, from Autozone. (They debit your credit card but you get a full refund if you return the tool - they call this there 'loaner tool' program - I think Murrays do the same too). I had to remove the brake caliper first, the tool fitted perfectly, I screwed in the lead screw left it tensioned & came back 5 minutes later - the ball joint was loose - success! No bashing, no sweat!

Only difficulty was torquing up the big nut on the ball joint - no socket so I had to guestimate.

Around to the other side - I removed the caliper expecting the same procedure but would you believe it the ball joint popped out on its own as I undid its large nut - so, in hindsight I'd suggest loosening the nut first to see if you're going to be lucky before you remove the brake caliper.

As a Brit working here temporarily, it's interesting dealing with the parts places here. First, there's the confusion over terminology - e.g. wrench Vs spanner! What I do find strange is that it often seems difficult to get advice 'over the counter' - is it a litigation thing? I found that trying to explain the problems with the ball joint got me nowhere - in one branch of autozone, the guy would not loan me the 'pitman arm tool' as I was 'working on a ball-joint' so obviously needed that tool - he said the ball joint would break the pitman arm tool!!! Another guy said just hit it harder - as that was all he ever had to do! I found the best approach was to just ask for what you want to try & don't ask for advice - sad really! Anyway, overall he tool loan thing is good - nothing like it in the UK.

For those who actually enjoy changing ball joint, then I'd like to suggest the following investment for the princely sum of $5.99 - As far as I can tell, its the same tool as I borrowed from Autozone (All made in China/Taiwan of course).

See http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=1752

TIE ROD AND PITMAN ARM PULLER

Industrial Steel Frame

Heat-treated pulling screw with protective black finish and industrial steel frame combine for high torque pulls and long life. Slim enough to fit into cramped areas. Smooth moving machined threads.

Manufacturer: Central Forge Quantity: 1 Drive: 3/4" Opening: 1-5/16" Pull: 2-1/2"

ITEM 1752-1VGA

$5.99

I'm 95% sure it's the same thing ... they do list another tool at http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36865

but that looks to be bigger i.e. "Fits arms from 1-5/16" to 2-1/2" " - the one from autozone has a slot that is exactly 1-5/16" wide which I think is what my first tool reference refers too.