Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jun 2000 04:29:56 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: FW: Wandering in Wyoming...
Comments: To: TCarrington@relitech.com

In a message dated 6/18/2000 11:50:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, TCarrington@ReliTech.com writes:

<< Any listers with travel suggestions in the area and any listers in Wyoming > who >> JON--

Depnding on where you're travelling from the Medicine Wheel in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming is an interesting spot on the way. It is a holy ground of sorts for Native Americans. And while I don't know much about Native American culture I understand the Wheel is a very spiritual place. It is still used for many ceremonies by tribes from all across america. It is in a national forest and it's an easy hike from the parking lot of about 1/4 mile I think.

The Wheel is made from stones set in the ground. And while it, in my opinion, isn't the most beautiful collection of stones it can be a spiritual experience if one is open to that. The Wheel is supposed to have healing powers. There's something mysterious about it and the fact that it is held as a place of great spiritual value to the oldest of Americans make it interesting experience. No one has information on when it was built, but the stone configuration may be coordinated to line up with the Winter and Summer Soltices.

The Big Horn mountains are beautiful and interesting. The different layers of soil are dated as you drive up some of the mountains. And the mountains are quite colorful. The Big Horns are east of Yellowstone in the area of Greybull and Shell. It all should be marked on any Wyoming map I think the Route is 14 or 14A.

There are a couple of good hikes in the Big Horn national forest although there are much less trials than in Yellowstone--but less people too. The one I would recommend is to Bucking Mule Falls. I don't think it's a strenuous hike if I remember correctly but there is a great view at the end of the trail as your reward including Buking Mule Falls in the distance. The Park Rangers are very helpful and can tell you how to get to the hikes and whether they are right for you and your family depending on the age of your children. You can also camp almost anywhere as it is a National Forest. So there is some rule like you have to be 100 yards from the highway or something but then you can camp anywhere. There are maintained campgrounds as well with no hook ups and primative toilets.

From my Yellowstone experience I would recommend Indian Creek campground if you get up nearMonmouth. It's a small campground near a river and there have always been Elk wandering around when I've been there. There are no hookups at this site and primitive toilets. I have just found it to be less crowed than some of the yellowstone campgrounds in that there aren't too many sites available--meaning even when it's full it's not so bad. Some of the larger campgrounds can be a bid overwhelming IMHO. Depending on how old your kids are the lectures at the campgrounds are interesting. Having said that I don't think they have the lectures at Indian Creek, but there is usually one every night in Monmouth.

As far as things to do there are plenty of hikes and geysers and hot springs to keep you busy. The Park is great about supplying maps and books.

If you head out north from Yellowstone toward Cook City there is a great drive on the Beartooth Highway (? I think that's the right name?) up toward Red Lodge which is a spectacular drive. My bus got a little warm, the engine that is, running up the steep grade so I turned on both the front and rear heaters. While it is a climb it's definately worth the drive. If you can't make it this trip make it another because it's spectacular.

Have a great trip.

Jeff 83.5 Westy NYC