Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:31:27 -0600
From:         Dan Meeking <dan@altabase.com>
Subject:      Front heater valve replacement procedures?

I have been suffering from the "hot feet" syndrome in my 84 Westy. Thanks to a recent post by Ken Wilfy, I was able to quickly drop the spare, reach up to the valve and manually close it. However, as soon as I moved the little arm that opens/closes the valve (it was seized), I was greeted with about 2 tablespoons of (rather warm) rad fluid (mental note: let Fuzzy rest for a few hours before fooling with the cooling). I looked up there, and the hose that is above the heater valve is completely clean, and there are signs indicating that the spare tire has caught some leaking coolant in the past. It looks like I need a new heater valve, which is a cheap part so I'm not too worried about it. I am, however, curious about replacement procedures. What is the best way to clamp the hoses (above and below the valve) so that when I remove it, I don't end up with a gallon of juice on the ground. Since I have been losing a bit of coolant (I doubt that I have lost more than 1 quart), should I make sure that no air bubbles, etc have been introduced into the system? Anything else that I should look at while I have her apart?

- Dan

'84 Westy "Fuzzy"