Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:27:26 -0700
From:         "J. C." <jcblues@yahoo.com>
Subject:      Re: Wandering in Wyoming...LONG!
Comments: To: Oxroad@aol.com

Jon,

Having worked in Yellowstone for 5 seasons and traversed the state of wyo a few times, let me add a couple (actually a bunch of) suggestions. First off I second everything that Jeff wrote. A list of other off the beaten path spots:

1. Heart mountain relocation camp,where Japanese people were imprisoned during WW2. It's on the road between Cody & Powell, East of jellostone. THere are still a few bldgs standing, and you just drive up and wander through. No visitor center, etc. Do notice the different tones of the plaques: the one on the main road erected circa 1950 and the ones erected in the 80s by Powell H.S. students. You can see here how time helps to put things into diff perspectives.

2. Thermopolis. It's kinda like crossing yellowstone w/ disneyland, but mostly for locals. About 2 water parks and the Wyoming State Bathhouse are located there, all feeding off natural hot springs. If you're traveling w/ kids on a hot day, it's a must. one of the waterparks even has a sulfur cave, for those who crave the smell of rotten eggs.

3. The camping inside the park is nuts, you need to get there wicked early and defend your site. Worth it insofar as reducing the driving time. If you camp in the park, both indian creek and norris campgrounds are nice. You may be able to park behind a hotel, or in an employee parking area, too. They will chase you out if you park overnight on the pullouts--you can imagine the mess if they didn't keep them clear.

4. Camping just outside the park is much nicer: I camped at Eagle creek campground, 2 mi uphill from Gardiner (n. entrance) on memorial day weekend and had the entire campground to ourselves! There's one tent site that has the most spectacular view i've ever seen from a campsite, views across the valley to mammoth hot springs electric peak and the gallatin range. It's the last site on your left when you go into the c.g., and you cross a little stream to get there. it's in an isolated bowl, near the beaver dam. Also, there's lots of nice camping in the n.f. between cody and the park, along the shoshone river.

5. Showers in the park are at a premium. I suggest: a) make your own shower--see one of my old postings for a supersimple way to do so, b) use the shower at mammoth hotel. it's located in the hallway of the 1st floor, next to the ice machine. No worries. c) see #6 below:

6. Swimming in yellowstone is the best! ONce the h2o levels decrease (snowmelt in progress now) the park service will open up the firehole river and gardiner river for swimming. In the firehole (take firehole drive, nearish old faithful) you can jump into rapids and float through a narrow canyon in about 80 degree water. The Gardiner has a paradise-like small hot waterfall you can sit under. It's bliss. (park at the gardiner river turnout between n. entrance and mammoth) . Later in the summer, moose falls (south entrance road, between boundary and grant) is about 72-75 degrees, and you can swim under the 40'falls and around them. beautiful. All these are legal but you won't find them on any park information. There are some backcountry spots, too, but I won't broadcast them right now.

7. Went dancing in Cheyenne a few weeks ago at Cowboy South. Like walking into a movie! This was great fun. If you want the full cheyenne experience, stay at the ranger motel, where all the ranchers stay...

8. Sierra trading post is also based in Cheyenne, w/ an outlet in Cody. These are worth stopping at for outdoor bargains.

9. If you're exploring cody, cross the river (opposite of town) and check out the strange potholes, about 100' deep, maybe 100' across.

10. You can drive way up Carter mountain, near cody and camp in a nice spot, great for a backpacking base camp.

11. Chico hot springs, north of the park, is the opposite of Thermop. it's a rather classy spot w/ 2 hot swimming pools, no sulfur smell, and costs only $4/day to hang out there. Restraunt and music is s'posed to be nice, too.

12. There's whitewater rafting all over the place. if you have your own canoe, you can put in in the ystone river just north of gardiner and go as far as you want. Very nice class 1-2.

13. For dining, I recommend the park cafe in Gardiner. The food in the YNP hotels has gone downhill, unfortunately, over the last few years, under new mgmt. Lake hotel has a string quartet playing in the lounge 5 nights/week, usually from the Juliard school.

14. I also recommend finding a tiny road and taking it across the rangeland for a ways, to get the feel of openness. Bring extra gas & water!

15. The Buckhorn bar in Laramie is a good place to meet locals. However, i've also never seen this level of intoxication anywhere. It's really sad. You'll also notice that lots of gas stations and liquor stores have stand-up bars in them, too.

16. Nolls outdoor school is in Lander, worth stopping in, if you're in town.

17. If you want a mild backpack trip, hike the Black canyon trail up from GArdiner and stay at site 1y1 for a couple days. it's right on the ystone river, has a big beach! and a nice hike to knowles falls, up the trail. Reserve it in advance. the hike in is extremely diverse, and not too difficult. Hot in midsummer, though.

18. you've probably heard of the beartooth highway, n.e. of the park, past cooke city. It's even more spectacular than you think. That's my favorite spot for backpacking. mostly above treeline.

19. Look at the Grand tetons from a distance, but i wouldn't get much closer, unless for sailing on jackson or jenny lakes. Hiking is much like walking through the Loop in Chicago at rush hour.

20. Jackson has a symphony orchestra and the mormon tabernacle performs there annually.

21. The animals of course are everywhere in Jellystone. Keep asking rangers where the best places to see bears & wolves are, because it can change from day to day. Bring the strongest binocs or scope you can. Obviously, the bison are dangerous. new park emps are required to watch a video of some guy getting too close and then getting gored when he tries to put his kid on one for a pic.... Watch the tails: limp=happy, as they get pissed off, the tail begins to become erect. when it points straight up, it'll likely charge. Also, a ranger told me he'd rather encounter a bear than a moose on the trail. Moose are way more unpredictable.

ok ok enough! you can tell what my favorite state is!

Feel free to email me w/ questions. Have a great trip!

Jim Carter Enfield, NH '84 westy: the Orange Violin

--- Jeffrey R <Oxroad@aol.com> wrote: > In a message dated 6/18/2000 11:50:12 PM Eastern > Daylight Time, > TCarrington@ReliTech.com writes: > > << Any listers with travel suggestions in the area > and any listers in Wyoming > > who >> > JON-- > > Depnding on where you're travelling from the > Medicine Wheel in the Big Horn > Mountains of Wyoming is an interesting spot on the > way. It is a holy ground > of sorts for Native Americans. And while I don't > know much about Native > American culture I understand the Wheel is a very > spiritual place. It is > still used for many ceremonies by tribes from all > across america. It is in a > national forest and it's an easy hike from the > parking lot of about 1/4 mile > I think. > > The Wheel is made from stones set in the ground. And > while it, in my opinion, > isn't the most beautiful collection of stones it can > be a spiritual > experience if one is open to that. The Wheel is > supposed to have healing > powers. There's something mysterious about it and > the fact that it is held as > a place of great spiritual value to the oldest of > Americans make it > interesting experience. No one has information on > when it was built, but the > stone configuration may be coordinated to line up > with the Winter and Summer > Soltices. > > The Big Horn mountains are beautiful and > interesting. The different layers of > soil are dated as you drive up some of the > mountains. And the mountains are > quite colorful. The Big Horns are east of > Yellowstone in the area of Greybull > and Shell. It all should be marked on any Wyoming > map I think the Route is 14 > or 14A. > > There are a couple of good hikes in the Big Horn > national forest although > there are much less trials than in Yellowstone--but > less people too. The one > I would recommend is to Bucking Mule Falls. I don't > think it's a strenuous > hike if I remember correctly but there is a great > view at the end of the > trail as your reward including Buking Mule Falls in > the distance. The Park > Rangers are very helpful and can tell you how to get > to the hikes and whether > they are right for you and your family depending on > the age of your children. > You can also camp almost anywhere as it is a > National Forest. So there is > some rule like you have to be 100 yards from the > highway or something but > then you can camp anywhere. There are maintained > campgrounds as well with no > hook ups and primative toilets. > > From my Yellowstone experience I would recommend > Indian Creek campground if > you get up nearMonmouth. It's a small campground > near a river and there have > always been Elk wandering around when I've been > there. There are no hookups > at this site and primitive toilets. I have just > found it to be less crowed > than some of the yellowstone campgrounds in that > there aren't too many sites > available--meaning even when it's full it's not so > bad. Some of the larger > campgrounds can be a bid overwhelming IMHO. > Depending on how old your kids > are the lectures at the campgrounds are interesting. > Having said that I don't > think they have the lectures at Indian Creek, but > there is usually one every > night in Monmouth. > > As far as things to do there are plenty of hikes and > geysers and hot springs > to keep you busy. The Park is great about supplying > maps and books. > > If you head out north from Yellowstone toward Cook > City there is a great > drive on the Beartooth Highway (? I think that's the > right name?) up toward > Red Lodge which is a spectacular drive. My bus got a > little warm, the engine > that is, running up the steep grade so I turned on > both the front and rear > heaters. While it is a climb it's definately worth > the drive. If you can't > make it this trip make it another because it's > spectacular. > > Have a great trip. > > Jeff > 83.5 Westy > NYC