Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jun 2000 17:36:53 -0500
From:         sean <srohde@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject:      purching and camping equip questions.

I just want to start with a BIG THANK YOU to EVERYONE on this list who have offered advice and help on our search for a new westy. We love our 78 but are now hooked on wartercooled vanagons. What a smoother ride.

Anyway, we found an 84 westy. 65K with all service records! VERY clean. Std shift full camper. We took it for a test drive and it ran very smooth. We are going to take it to our mechanic this week to have it inspected. Asking is high, $8500.00. We can probably get it for $6500 to $7000.00. It has no A/C, white in color with no rust or dings. Great sound system. Anyway we are looking for people who have owned '84's. We are still torn between getting a 1.9 or a 2.1L motor. To tell the truth we know that the 2.1L offers more power, but we really don't have a feel for how much more. Does the 2.1L offer a lot more power? Any '84 owners out there want to share any stories or testimonials with us about the reliability of the 1984 1.9L motor?

I don't think the owner has the manuals. On our '78 we know how to work all the camping equip, on the vanagons we have no clue. Anyone want to share with us how we can test the equipment, sink, stove, and, fridge when we go to look at it again?

On our 78 the sink has a water tank and a water pump motor so we could run the sink without being hooked to city water or power, do the vanagons do the same?

I found the propane tank and I'm assuming the stove works the same as on our 78. If not can someone tell me how to operate it?

Now the fridge is a different story. How do we test it to see if it works? I'm not sure if there is a second battery. We can hook it up to city power if we need to.

We checked the pop top and everything looks good. It is missing one of the tables. What year was a 5th seat offered in the westfalias?

Thanks again all. Sean and Michelle