Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jun 2000 21:41:33 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@uvic.ca>
Subject:      Re: Re; Window chrome Mldgs.
Comments: To: CTONLINE@webtv.net

well lets hash a bit more :)

I am inclined to believe that it does not lock the rubber molding, if for no other reason than the cross section looks awfully thin (like a skinny arrow...the portion that actually goes into the rubber). Other moldings I have looked at are "thicker" seem more likely to spread the rubber.

But if it does "lock" the molding, doesn't that imply that without it, the molding/window will come loose?

Maybe by the time the chrome strip has weathered to a brittle shell of its former self, the window rubber has also suffered a bit, and tugging, winkling the molding out will cause a leak?

Anyhoo, I am one of the "lucky" who pulled the windshield molding out. No leaks.

As an aside, my van is in the bodyshop being painted, The shop removed all of the glass (except the front windows and windshield). All of the window openings showed some sign of rust at the lower edge, hidden by the rubber molding. The rust was not bad, glad we found it now, but it is a warning.

Those windows did have the molding intact.

alistair