Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:58:43 -0700
From:         "Todd D. Gadberry" <toddgrx@pacbell.net>
Subject:      Re: purching and camping equip questions.
Comments: To: sean <srohde@students.uiuc.edu>

Wow... so many questions. I'll try to give you a "recent purchaser of an '84 Westy's" perspective.

----- Original Message ----- From: "sean" <srohde@students.uiuc.edu> <snip>

> Anyway, we found an 84 westy. 65K with all service records! VERY > clean. Std shift full camper. We took it for a test drive and it ran > very smooth. We are going to take it to our mechanic this week to have > it inspected. Asking is high, $8500.00. We can probably get it for > $6500 to $7000.00.

<snip>

I found an '84 Westy, automatic, 1.9L, 150K with about 60K on rebuilt engine, much in the same condition for $4800 in SF Bay Area just 3 months ago. My mechanic says I got a deal, but reported one its condition might have gone for upto $6000. Had all the curtains, ripped (but usable) cover on foam bed in back, missing side screens, refrigerator needed minor cleaning (works great now with little lighting effort), otherwise all camper features in really nice condition.

> I don't think the owner has the manuals. On our '78 we know how to work > all the camping equip, on the vanagons we have no clue. Anyone want to > share with us how we can test the equipment, sink, stove, and, fridge > when we go to look at it again?

<snip>

Check www.vanagon.com for fridge advise on starting. I've got a revised single sheet paper that my refrigerator servicer gave me; he said Dometic put out after their initial instructions (printed on door)-- could scan and email if it helps. Water pump should turn on "c" for city water and "t" for tank (tank accessible through cabinet just to left of rear seat- open hatch and unscrew metal plate therein)... my pump was damaged, but ordered a replacement from www.busdepot.com for just around $30 and was able to replace myself in 20 minutes (and I'm not very handy at all). Stove should light with match... be sure outside valve on propane tank (behind driver front wheel) is turned to on position and has propane in it. Also be sure to inspect pop top for mildew stains and rips due to lack of care... replacements may be pricey. Be sure all curtains are there (mine were)... curtain for front windshield, curtain for over sliding door, and even a bug screen for back hatch when opened (mine didn't have one for the sliding door... don't know if it was stock to come with one). Check upstairs upholstery for condition of fabric and mildew smells.

> Now the fridge is a different story. How do we test it to see if it > works? I'm not sure if there is a second battery.

<snip>

Heard from the group try to have on 110V for at least 2hrs... that'll test if AC will keep it cool and also help in lighting on propane. Basic instructions located on inside of refrigerator door. LED panel on stove unit (little silver switch) should also indicate if stove lit on propane (bottom green LED on left column below "water" level LEDs). Little peeking window will also show if pilot lit on propane (located in back lower left inside fridge compartment).

Also 5th seat brackets are located under floor panel... I was able to remove flooring without damage to carpet or floor panel to view 5th seat brackets... looks like one could cut floor panel and add 5th seat if found in salvage yard. Ken Wilfy [KENWILFY@aol.com] (www.vanagain.com), I believe, just recently posted a surplus of blue/gray "rare double seat" for this area specifically for Westys.

Todd '84 Westy "Titania"