Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:40:10 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Subject:      Re: Advice for a long road trip
Comments: To: DHornberg@aol.com

What fun, I just completed a 5000 mile trip and wish I was still on my way someplace!

I'll give you my "money is no object" recommendations, you can scale down accordingly. But remember, repairs on the road are difficult and expensive, and you are doing the equivalent of over a year of normal driving.

Doug Hornberger wrote: > > I have 5 areas I would like to ask your suggestions/recommendations on. > > 1) Based on the history of our Vanagon given above, what mechanical failures, > if any, might I expect in the 90,000 to 120,000 mileage range and is there > any preemptive measures I can take to avoid these problems? For example, it > has been suggested to me that I have a new clutch installed based on the > mileage. Another person suggested at 90,000 to 120,000 the heads might start > to give me a problem. Any thoughts or suggestions to these or other issues > you might have experienced?

In no particular order:

1. Install a new clutch kit, don't go without doing this, you are at the normal life span. I would also replace the clutch master and slave while you are at it. 2. Repack or replace the CV joints 3. Change the transmission fluid and replace it with Red Line MT-90 (assuming is is a manual tranny). 4. Replace as many cooling system hoses as you can afford, starting closest to the engine where the heat is. Consider installing a new water pump and t-stat too if they are original. 5. Install a K & N lifetime air filter 6. Do a complete tune up 7. Replace the fuel lines (see http://vanagain.com for a good kit) 8. Replace the fuel pump (judgment call, check the pump's pressure and flow to decide.) 9. Replace the rear heater core or carry two plugs so you can bypass it and plug the lines if it leaks. 10. Check the brakes and make sure you have 20,000 miles left on them. Replace the fluid if it has been in there two years or more. 11. Check your tires, should have at least 1/8" of tread. Replace with proper tires if less and align vehicle afterwards. Check your spare for proper inflation.

> > 2) It has been recommended that since VW parts may be scarce in some parts of > Mexico I should take the following items: Spare Alternator, Power Steering > Pump, Replacement Belts, Fuses, Spark Plugs/Wires, Oil and Fuel filters. Are > there any other parts (mechanical or otherwise) you think I might want to > carry with me?

Take fuses and two Mann/Mahle filters, and replace all the other stuff now. Change the oil every 5000 miles or longer, use 20w/50 oil. Replace the alternator and PS pump (along with belts) and keep your old ones for spares or have them rebuilt and on the shelf for future use. > > 3) I have a friend who has experienced the "Westy Buck." Can anyone shed > light on this subject and/or give recommendations on how to avoid having this > happen?

Add the harness, see archives. > > 4) Any general comments/thoughts I should be aware of with regard to the > Vanagons performance in the 90,000-120,000 mileage range?

You are always on the edge taking a long trip with a high mileage engine. The "bottom half" will go 200,000 miles or more, but the heads won't. When they start to leak is highly variable. It would make sense to have the heads replaced with NEW ones IMHO, or you can reseal the ones you have. If you go new, you should get to 200,000 miles with luck, and if you put in the orange long life coolant Dexcool. > > 5) Since this is the 1st trip we will be taking for this length of time, any > general comments/thoughts/suggestions on how to make this trip as trouble > free as possible, mechanical or otherwise? (Yes, my wife and I am very > compatible, therefore one possibility down).

Install the VDO oil pressure gauge, this will tell you more about the condition of the engine in use than anything else and help you avoid problems. See archives.

Consider a PortaPotty for convenience. Carry a Solar Shower and lots of quarters too, or go all out on one of these: http://www.glind.com.au/

Carry a long funnel so you can fill the water tank when there is no hose connection on the faucet. Get an egg crate style foam mattress pad and make a cover for it from an old sheet, this greatly improves the comfort of the bed.

Just travel at a relaxed pace, make frequent stops, and consume plenty of your favorite beverage as is appropriate for the situation! > > Thank you for any help you might have to offer pertaining to any or all of > these questions, it will be of great help.

I'll probably think of more since daydreaming about a trip like this is fun! > > Sincerely, > Doug Hornberger > 1991 Westfalia Vanagon "Romer"

-- Stuart MacMillan

'84 Westy '65 MGB '73 MGB GT