Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jun 2000 09:50:48 +0200
From:         Peter van Marwijk <peter@mediaweb.nl>
Subject:      Re: My 87 vanagon seems to be overheating...

Hmmm... That sounds pretty bad. But wouldn't that affect the engine's overall performance? It runs and sounds pretty well. I'll check for the bubbling this afternoon (the engine is warm now). But if the gasket is blown, shouldn't that have a more predictable effect? I've driven 2000 kilometres over a period of almost seven weeks in it now and it 'only' happened 4 times so far (the first time was about a month ago).

I'm not sure if it bubbles or even overheats, but what if the gasket has blown? Major repair?

Anyway, I'll try to collect more data and try out some stuff you folks suggested.

By the way, it's a Diesel because it's non-US (as am I). Fuel prices in Holland have always been twice of that in the states, so I guess that's why they like DIesels over here. Right now 1 litre of gasoline is about 2.70 guilders (which translates to about 1.20 US$ (dollars are expensive right now, too),) while 1 litre of Diesel costs 1.80 guilders and that difference has always been there.

Greetings and thanks so far,

Peter.

At 11:15 AM 6/14/00 -0400, you wrote: >It sounds like your headgasket has blown and is letting combustion gases into >the coolant. I recent found this on a customer's 81 rabbit. Basically you >could sit and watch the bubbles coming up into the expansion tank when >allowing the car to go from cold to warm with a full coolant tank (should be >able to do something similar on your van). If it keeps bubbling and >bubbling, then the gasket is toast. >Side question, how does your '87 Vanagon happen to be a diesel? Non-US? > >Thanks, >Ken Wilford >http://www.vanagain.com >John 3:16 >Phone: (856)-765-1583 >Shop: (856)-327-0027 >Fax: (856)-327-2242