Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:22:33 EST
From:         James Flanigan <vanagon40@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Re: Repost of Power loss in rain
Comments: To: 72510.1173@compuserve.com

I had this sort of problem and YES it turned out to be a fuel problem. As odd as this may seem it was my fuel filter clogging up with moisture. Nearly drove me crazy till I solved it.

On my '83 there are two plastic tanks mounted directly behind each front wheel, with hoses to the fuel tank. The rubber seals on the top were shot and the wheel spray was draining into the plastic tanks to the fuel tank, and then to the fuel filter. As soon as the road was dry, the problem would usually clear. This kept up for six months or so until the fuel filter was so saturated that it never cleared. I put a fuel pressure gauge on and discovered low pressure. Until I discovered the source of the moisture, I was changing my filter on a regular basis.

I also noted that often if I stopped and restarted, the van ran better.

Try running the van on a rainy day with a pressure gauge and timing light installed. (I had one of my kids watching the pressure gauge and another pulling the trigger on the timing light.) Should be able to determine whether it is spark or fuel. (I don't know anything about a Digitool.) Good luck.

Vanagon40