Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jun 2000 23:40:56 -0400
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@adelphia.net>
Subject:      Re: dual battery? hobigesuss!

The fridge? Why would you want to run the fridge on an aux. battery when you've got the propane to run it while camping? That's kind of a rhetorical question, but regardless of whatever reasons one may have for this, I always figured you'd want the extra battery for running things like the stereo and interior lights for reading or whatever.

Regarding the design of circuits and doubling the fuse size, well, in my 17 years of servicing electronic equipment I've never heard of such a thing. However, like Bill said, I don't design the stuff either, so who knows? I do know this: the fuse won't blow unless you exceed its rated amperage. Given that, it seems I would NOT be able to run my stereo (10 amps) AND the fridge on that 15 amp circuit. On the other hand, I've sat around in cars and had the lights, the heater fan, the windshield wipers, AND the stereo going at the same time WITHOUT the engine being on and without blowing fuses. Sounds to me like the Hella kit is performing a simple service at a simple price . . . giving you one 15 Amp circuit where you had none before. Given that we can, and do, run multiple circuits at higher amperage off of our cranking batteries, why can't we expect to get the same out of the auxiliary battery? If we design one big circuit of, say, 50 amps, are we increasing the likelihood of an electrical fire, or are we just asking for trouble in other ways? Should we design multiple, smaller circuits like we have already?

Thank you Beckett, David B., and others, for clarifying some things for me. This has been an interesting discussion.

Ron, I hope you don't feel that we've ragged on your product too much. It probably does exactly what it was designed to do and does it well. It still seems as though we should be able to do better than 15 amps out of that extra battery though . . .

Oh, and Josh? The Hella kit ought to work perfectly for running your stereo . . . unless you're one of these guys that's filled your van with 48 subwoofers! :^)

Peace y'all, Marc Perdue