Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:55:33 -0700
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@thegrid.net>
Subject:      Re: dual battery? hobigesuss!/Lets try this again!
Comments: To: THX0980@aol.com

The Hella Kit is an inferior product and that is not meant to bash Ron who I think runs a good business and generally offers good products.

The Hella Kit is inferior on two counts:

1. Price. As described to me the kit includes a Hella relay of unknown rating, a fuse holder with 15 amp fuse, assorted wires (estimated to be 14 gauge), and a wiring diagram. Cost: $17 plus shipping.

You can buy a Bosch 30 amp relay at any FLAPS for $4, a fuse holder and fuse for about $5, a roll of wire for about $3... Total Cost: $12, no shipping cost. If you already have a fridge relay deduct $4 = $8.

2. Performance. Installing a more robust system with higher amp ratings will allow the auxiliary battery to charge faster than the Hella Kit with it's minimal wire size and amperage ratings.

Go to any RV store (RV shops do a lot of auxiliary battery work) and look at the auxiliary battery kits they sell.... the ones I have seen come with minimum #8 wire and a 50 amp circuit breaker.

Buy what you want, but the Hella Kit is inferior.

And again, that's not meant to disparage Ron or the Bus Depot in any way....

Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: "Beckett Cantrell" <THX0980@aol.com> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 9:27 PM Subject: Re: dual battery? hobigesuss!/Lets try this again!