Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Jun 2000 01:44:27 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@netcarrier.com>
Subject:      Re: dual battery? hobigesuss!/Lets try this again!

> The Hella Kit is an inferior product and that is not meant to > bash Ron who I think runs a good business and generally > offers good products. > You can buy a Bosch 30 amp relay, a fuse holder and fuse > for about $5, a roll of wire for about $3... Total Cost: $12, > (Or) Installing a more robust system with higher amp ratings will allow the > auxiliary battery to charge faster than the Hella Ki

t> > What is this bashing Ron at the Bus Depot? Just because some people > > don't understand what they are talking about does not mean they should > > make it sound like Ron is selling an inferior product. Just run a 10ga. wire > > from your aux. batt. to a seperate fuse box and add accessories to >> your hearts content.

I haven't taken offense at all to the questioning of my product. Actually I'm used to being slapped around on the list once in a while. It keeps me on my toes. :-) And it is reasonable for people to want to make sure they are getting a good product. I am happy that it was indeed proven to be just that. As a Vanagon owner and retailer, my decision to offer it was based on its reputation in the UK (where it is used extensively) and on Hella's reputation. Now the scientists on the list have confirmed that its reputation is well founded.

Two electrical engineers on the list have said that its design is sound, more than adequate, and completely appropriate for use on VW vans with accessories of _any_ current draw. That's certainly all one could ask of an $18.95 kit, or even one that cost much more.

Yes, you probably could go to Radio Shack and Pep Boys, buy the components separately, get wiring information from the net, and make yourself a do-it-yourself kit, which would save you maybe $7 (by Bill's estimate) or less, if you wanted to do the legwork. I suspect that most people would rather just buy the $18.95 kit and get everything they need, complete with instructions. We're not talking a lot of money here anyway, but it's your money, so you decide if you want to "roll your own" or simply get the kit. Regarding the suggestion that it is "inferior" because you could buy a "more robust" system, you only need to read Beckett's post again, since he has shown (speaking as an electrical engineer) that the Hella may indeed be _safer_ than a "more robust" system precisely _because_ it intentionally limits the rate of recharge. I suspect that most Vanagon owners would rather err on the side of caution, which the Hella kit does.

Now that the facts are in, I'm expecting to see a surge in orders for these. Anyone who would still criticize the kit in the face of the detailed and informed evidence presented in its favor by experts is simply being stubborn.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW