Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jun 2000 23:21:45 -0700
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@thegrid.net>
Subject:      Re: dual battery? hobigesuss!/Lets try this again!
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <ron@netcarrier.com>

> Regarding the suggestion that it is "inferior" because you could buy a "more > robust" system, you only need to read Beckett's post again, since he has > shown (speaking as an electrical engineer) that the Hella may indeed be > _safer_ than a "more robust" system

Ron, Reread Beckett's post... he said nothing of the kind about it being safer than a more robust system... he only said it was safe... [implied as safe as (a properly designed) more robust system].

Ron, You must be up late back there in PA!

I think Beckett's insights were truly enlightening on this subject of auxiliary batteries. And I retract all my concerns about the safety of the Hella Kit based on the information that he provided. Most of it seems logical it explains why, on the one hand, I had measured such high amperage using a #4 wire and, on the other hand, the Hella 15 amp fuse had not blown using much smaller wire. The Battery/Passive Device theory seems to hold.

However, Ron, you do seem to go to some length to spin a little extra out of Beckett's input. He never implied that there was anything unsafe about a more robust system.

He did imply that a deeply discharged auxiliary battery could drain the starter battery at start up... I questioned that in a previous post earlier this evening by using his own theory of the battery as a passive device to suggest that the starter at start up, being an active device, would surly draw the starter battery's power and not the auxiliary battery which is a passive device.... Beckett did not respond to this, but since I am using his own theory of the battery as a passive device, and since my rosbust system has no problem starting with a deeply discharged auxiliary battery, I will assume that I am correct until he or someone else can show otherwise.

In sum, if Beckett's reasoning is correct (and it seems to be) there is no apparent problem with the Hella Kit or the more robust systems available on the market.

But the less robust Hella Kit that you sell will take significantly longer to charge the auxiliary battery. AND the components can be had cheaper at you local FLAPS.

Okay, if someone wants the convenience of ordering your kit and they don't care how long it may take to recharge the battery.... great. I just like it when people know what they're getting before they buy it and go to the trouble to put it in.

Bill

Bill