Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Jun 2000 02:02:10 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: Dual Batt.'s/The final word  - plus a few!
Comments: To: THX0980@aol.com

I am also distressed by some of the opinions expressed and the confusion inferred by others, but I'm sure all are sincerely rendered. I must offer a caution to those of you who feel the need, or plan to install 2 to 10 gauge wire to support an auxiliary battery.

PLEASE be careful. Take proper precautions in grommeting cable pass-thru's going through metal surfaces, walls, etc. Leave cable slack to minimize stress on the cable insulation. Choose a cable with insulation rated for automotive use (underhood and engine compartment temperatures can make home wire grade insulation - particularly audio - soften and flow). Inadvertent solvent exposure - gasoline, oil, brake fluid - can weaken the insulation leading to cracks and exposed wire. Always use soldered connections for terminals connected to heavy wire. Insulate your final exposed connections with Liquid Electrical Tape.

With heavier gauge wire you risk far higher surge current delivery with attendant fire damage. Some non-UL rated wire on the market can generate toxic vapors when the wire gets sufficiently hot to liquefy the insulation and burn the plastics.

I don't want to overdo this. Reasonable care is all that is needed. Just understand that handling 24 to 16 gauge wire is very different from 2-12.

Two final comments:

1) I am sure that the Hella kit is a sound investment. Intelligent purchases can always lower the price of a component with the additional expense of time. The instructions are worth a relay or two. The instructions on the list and vanagon.com are also worth far more than your investment in them.

2) In the wiring system for my Westphalia, my schematics indicate that I have more than 32 Bosch 30 amp relays, many 60 amp and 2-100 amp units. I have been accused by she-who-must-be-obeyed of balancing the driver's side tilt with copper ballast. While this is far from correct I do have several strands (more than 3, less than 5) of 2 gauge copper wire running from the tail to the dash!

Couldn't resist (so to speak),

Frank Grunthaner