Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:56:17 -0700
From:         Dan Nims <nims@excite.com>
Subject:      Re: Where have all the Vanagons gone???
Comments: To: "Michael S. Nichols" <msnichols@mindspring.com>

Point well taken. The Volkswagon bus could well be considered the first "mini-van" and unfortunately they were late in facing up to the competition. By the time the last of the Vanagons were imported to the U.S. (86-91) the asking price probably was too high compared to what else was available. Not to say the American mini-vans are better. I am very pleased to pilot my 86 GL as a daily driver. It is a world-class vehicle, and in remarkably good shape for being 14 years old. If they had 150 horsepower and could deliver 25 miles per gallon, I'll bet it possibly would have had wider appeal. The entry over the front wheel isn't a problem for me, my wife struggles with it. It should be no suprise that the EUROVAN is configured more like the American standard. And yet, it is not as appealing to me as the Vanagon.

In Eugene, Oregon, it is possible to park right beside another Vanagon or at least a bread-loaf in nearly any large parking lot. I have not noticed much acknowledgement of eye contact with other drivers on the road. Years ago, if you were riding a motorcycle on a hiway, a raised hand salute to another rider was very common.

Traffic on this mailing list is one of the best means we have to keep this vehicle alive both on the road and in our hearts. Yet if we have less than a thousand subscribers world-wide, we have not connected as well as we should.

I have heard comments that when Volkswagon produced the Vanagon, it became to "nice" and thus too expensive to be purchased new by the same crowd that bought the eariler ones. However, continued innovation by other manufacturers made updating the transporter absolutely necessary. Frankly, I am grateful for what my 86 has that the old ones didn't have.

Would a new, updated Vanagon sell today? As if a left hand drive South African model could be imported, would the public accept it? Of course...unless it was priced too high. Maybe it is just a bit too "special" to reach the masses. We can always dream!

Dan Nims Eugene, Oregon On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:39:37 -0400, Michael S. Nichols wrote:

> Hello from Atlanta---- With a copy of "Small Wonder" open to VWoA Retail > Sales History----- > I owned a '72 Bus of which 42,656 were sold; I now own two '81 Vanagons of > which 10,882 were sold. > The point I wish to make is that Vanagons were never as popular as Bay > Window vans of the '70's. I see as many 70's vans as Vanagons here in > Intown Atlanta. I believe that with careful, regular maintenance I can > make both my '81 air cooled vans last for many years---with the help and > camaraderie of the list, of course! > > Regards, > > Christina and Michael Nichols

Cheers!

_______________________________________________________ Get 100% FREE Internet Access powered by Excite Visit http://freelane.excite.com/freeisp