Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:58:08 -0700
From:         Scott Knowles <sknowles@usgs.gov>
Subject:      Tires for Synchro

Question for ya'll. I've been using Goodyear steel belted (SBL) Wrangler Radials (P205/75R14) since 1992 and love the tire for my Synchro. They have a 1840 lbs load rating, the only tire I found that exceeds VW recommendations for Synchro's and the only one that exceed the original equipment tire (Continentals with a 1710 lb rating) when I bought it in 1991.

I went to buy a new set this week and found Goodyear doesn't make that size anymore in the SBL Wrangler Radial. I did find a dealer (chain) that found some in a Denver warehouse and he's ordered them for me. But I'm wondering what other tires do other Synchro owner use and what success you've had with wear, ride, and load.

I've found a few other tire recommendations on VW/Vanagon and other tires on Company Web sites which fit, but none had a rating over 1600 lbs, such as another Goodyear tire, Michelin, and BF Goodrich. I'm wondering if 15-inch wheels are avaiable for the Synchro to go to a P215/70R15 tire in the future without increasing the overall diameter too much. And if that would hurt the 4/AWD system.

If the Goodyears are real this time (another dealer ordered them but none arrived) I may buy an extra set for the next time, until I can find another tire. The Wrangler Radial really make the Synchro handle nice on any road and in any condition and ride well with the high load capacity, and they use only 36 lbs pressure.

If this topic has been discussed, I apologize, just tell me to check the archives (which month-year would help).

--Scott--

Scott M. Knowles "Opinions expressed are entirely my own." sknowles@usgs.gov Hydrologist, MS-Geography

"All things merge into one, and a river runs through it."

- Norman MacLean