Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Jun 2000 06:48:53 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: Steering  coupling / universal
Comments: cc: JiMelody@zianet.com, ldhamm@xmission.com

In a message dated 6/24/00 5:55:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

<< Steering coupling / universal >> The steering coupling is just that, a rubber coupling. There are three of them in the steering linkage for non-power steering Vanagons. All power steering Vanagons have a universal joint at the steering rack connection. There are two couplings and one universal joint on Vanagons with power steering. AND, I got a message yesterday from Tim Smith telling me that the U-joint in the Syncros are different from the standard Vanagons. Evidently larger. Can anyone out there verify this ? It is the universal joint which I needed (got one from the dealer last week and put it in already) and which Kieth needs. One remark worth noting, when you take off the old U-joint be sure to mark its location on the splined shaft of the steering rack. I did not and it took me several hours of trying to get it back on in the proper location so the steering wheel would be centred. What a major PITA. Anyways, it's done now and the '87 Westy rolls again in a straight line. This U-joint must have been worn out for some time as I did take it apart in an attempt to repair it and one of the bearings was completely rusted and seized. This is probably the cause of my handling problems that I was attributing to the Michelin Agilis tires I had installed back in December and finally changed them for Michelin LTX's. The Westy had been inspected twice by my Volkswagen shop for alignment and the tire shop, none of which found a problem with the steering U-joint. Each time they inspected it they said it was fine. In my inspections it seemed fine also. No movement could be found ! Well, turns out, with one of the bearings seized it was tight as a drum for someone to try and find some play in it. BUT, under road conditions, especially windy days, there was enough force to make it come loose and cause the van to have steering problems. Now, can I get back to promoting the STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Muffler ? Shameless plug to help defray the cost of Vanagon ownership !

Cheers

Frank Condelli '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service for the Ottawa Valley STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems Almonte, On Visit me on the web.......> <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html">Frank Condelli & Associates< /A> or http://http://onward.to/frankcondelli Want to win $10,000? Click to enter!! <A HREF="http://irecommend-it.com/sh.e?22EC343C3B75">iRecommend-It Public Page for RAlanen@aol.com</A>