Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Jun 2000 21:29:44 -0400
From:         Walt Spak <wnsopc3@3rdm.net>
Subject:      My 91 GL tale (long), or what ever happened to this Vanagon

Vanagon List,

I have just finished a large project with my 91 GL and thought I ought to share my experiences with the list.

Engine: I knew I had some leaking heads as soon as the cold weather set in, but hoped to ignore it for a while. I kept the 20-50 oil too long and as soon as it got really cold, I blew out the O-ring between the oil cooler & the block. At that point, I took the bus off of the road and drove an 86 that I have. The mileage on the 91 was now at 99,853. I thought things through and decided that I wanted to make the 91 a very trustworthy vehicle that I can take anywhere I want, anytime I want. One of things this meant to me was an engine rebuild even though it was premature at less than 100,000 miles.

I have rebuilt quite a few engines in my life. In fact, I rebuild 50's & 60's Lancia engines as a little side business. I priced the parts that I felt I would need in preparation for doing it myself. Now, I will never buy a rebuilt engine (or any other part) from a factory because I can't be sure of the quality. But after lurking on this list for some time, I have been very impressed by Boston Bob (Boston Engines -bostneng@fci-us.net ). When I priced a rebuild from him, it was less than $200.00 more than the parts would cost me. I started to correspond with Bob and after asking him a number of questions, I decided to go with one of his rebuilds. I sent him a check & he started to work his magic. One of things I really appreciated was that he was very eager to communicate. He always answered e-mail very quickly & gave me options as they arose. I never had to wonder if my investment was safe. The engine arrived right on schedule and I have finally installed it. I was only able to put 225 miles on it before I had to make a trip from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia and back. I changed the break-in oil and put the 20-50 in a little early, but it ran like top all the way across the state. I varied my speed quite a few times to help with the break in and stopped about half way and let the engine cool down before continuing. Coming home was a little different. I was ready to get home, so a ran it up to about 80 MPH and flew over the Turnpike. I used NO oil on the trip and it is still real clean.

Engine accessories: I had the intake manifold box & tubes, crank & water pump pulleys, engine support bar, and miscellaneous brackets powder coated in satin finish black. I installed a rebuilt starter, but kept the original alternator. I had bought a new set of motor mounts from the Bus Depot, but Bob was afraid they might be from South America, so I ordered a second set from him. Well, it turns out both sets were identical and German, so I now have a spare set.

Cooling system: I replaced the rear heater core last year. Boston Bob sold me all of the engine hoses at a very good price. I added the hose between the plastic tube & the plastic distribution manifold and the hose between the other plastic tube and the thermostat housing. I got these from the VW dealer as they were last minute decisions. I also replaced the Thermostat housing and the distribution manifold with factory parts. While I was at it I got a new reservoir tank & cap from the Bus Depot and a new water pump from Ken Wilford ( vanagain.com ). Boston Bob supplied an 80 degree thermostat as he thought my 86 would be too hot. I replaced the coolant with phosphate free anti freeze.

Exhaust: I initially thought I would just put on my existing exhaust system, but as the time drew near, I talked my self into longevity. My muffler brackets were about half rusted out and many of the pipes were rusty looking. I bit the bullet and ordered a Stebro muffler from Frank Condelli in Canada ( I can't seem to find the URL or E-mail address - Sorry). Now that I had it coming, I figured I would just go ahead and get the stainless head pipes fro Ron (Bus Depot). Well, if one is going this far, why not a new cast iron 2 into 1 and a J-pipe. I stripped these last two parts and painted them with 1200 degree exhaust paint. The j-pipe is already showing rust though. I sure hope some one makes this in stainless soon.

Fuel Injection: I sent the computer to Darrell during the winter and had him install a Digitool connection and make me a tool. I also purchased new injector seals & fuel hose kit from Ken.

Getting it going: The first day I drove it, I had trouble starting it when it was hot. It turned over very slowly like the timing was too far advanced. I reset the timing and still had the problem. I figured the rebuilt starter was bad, so I put the old one back in. Then I realized that the alternator wasn't charging properly (Digitool). So, I finally figured that the slow turning when hot situation was a low battery that was surface charging it self as the engine was cooling off. I put in an alternator from a parts car and everything was fine. I stopped for gas in Eastern PA and the starter wouldn't work. I had to catch it in gear all the way home. So, I put the rebuilt starter back in after I got home.

What are my opinions:

Engines - no question - get your rebuild from Boston Bob

Stebro Muffler - nice fit, includes tail pipe & brackets, a slight bit louder, but I can barely notice from the drivers seat. if you have rusted brackets & straps, it is actually less expensive than others.

Stainless head pipes - Real nice. Flanges don't line up 100%, but not bad

Digitool - A must. I know my temp 1, temp 2, afm, etc. are all ok. The new O2 sensor may not be.

Parts : Boston Bob - doesn't let you know often, but he has good parts & some pretty good prices Bus Depot - Great new catalog, good parts, good prices. I hope ship time can improve. Ken Wilford - good parts, prices, & service. Real friendly too.

Well, I just remembered this is an E-mail, not a book.

Walt Spak Pittsburgh, PA. wnsopc3@3rdm.net