Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:25:17 +0000
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <thoekman@pop.morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
From:         "Dr. Theodore B. Hoekman" <thoekman@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
Subject:      CIS-E Fuel system problems

All CIS-E guru's, I need some advice suggestions. I have a 1982 westy (formerly diesel) that now has a 1986 Jetta GLI engine with the CIS-E fuel injection. I did the conversion in 1994, and it has run many strong steady miles (about 40K). As I was returning from a long fast road trip last august I began to get intermittent problem behaviour. It was characterized by power loss and humongous backfiring when decellerating with engine braking. However it would come and go, be present for 20 or 30 minutes and then back to normal sturdy behaviour. In the Fall I put the van in winter storage as I usually do, and now have been driving it as I am doing the GMBulley treatment to silence the interior prior to summer travel. The problem has become almost continous. It is minimal when the engine is cold, getting progressively worse as it warms up to full operating temp. After replacing a bad distributor rotor, the power loss problem seems to be gone, or minimized but the backfiring is if anything worse. It runs strong, accelerating and maintaining highway speed, but people are looking around for drive-by shooters when I coast into a stoplight. Can't be healthy for the exhaust system!

My very knowledgeable mechanic thinks its a timing problem, but fiddling with backing off on the advance doesn't seem to have any real impact. My theory is there is something funny going on with the fuel control. Any suggestions or remedies from the CIS-E afficianadoes out there (David Marshall? or anybody else with experience).

Hoping for list knowledge.

Ted Hoekman Dr. Theodore B. Hoekman, Professor Medical Informatics Faculty of Medicine Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NF Canada A1B 3V6 http://calloso.med.mun.ca (709)737-6703