Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:00:06 -0600
From:         Damian Shaw <dts@xmission.com>
Subject:      Hi; I'm New

Hi all,

I've known about your mailing list for some time and I finally decided to join. Actually I did try to subscribe a while ago, but somehow I messed up my subscription email...

Anyway, a bit about myself:

My name is Damian Shaw, I live in Sandy (Suburb of Salt Lake City), Utah. I owe three VWs, age-ordered they are: an 87 Westy, 88 Quantum Syncro Wagon, 89 Cabriolet.

I have owned the Westy the longest - about 2 1/2 years. It is probably my 'best' VW with about 82k miles on the clock and in excellent shape. It's an all original, 5-speed, 2wd, no a/c, flash silver with gray interior. Original head gaskets still holding (knock on wood).

I do a lot of mechanical stuff myself with a focus on VWs. Karl Bloss actually forwarded this list a technical article I put together on the Vanagon's throttle switches (several months ago) - he saw it posted on the VW Watercooled newsgroup...

My cabriolet is my daily driver - and my only modified VW. In it is a 'race' engine consisting of the later Jetta engine block (2.0l ABA), the earlier GTI solid lifter 8v head, lots of Scirocco accessories, and other performance parts. You can see a brief overview of it on:

http://photos.yahoo.com/damian_tyson_shaw

under the 'project cabriolet' link.

Finally, the Quantum is my current project - my wife and I bought it a few months ago and are in the process of restoring it so she can have it as a daily driver. Mostly that car needs body work and we're stripping it down and handing it over to a restorer to give it a restoration level paint job. Normally I wouldn't take on such a huge project but with the Quantum Syncro Wagon being so rare I felt it deserved a 2nd chance at life... There are also some pictures of the Quantum at the link above. (No Westy pictures there - I've never had to do any 'big' repairs to it!)

Well, I hope I can be a positive contributor to your list...

Damian