Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:41:11 -0400
From:         Chris Gkikas <theerion@gator.net>
Subject:      First Timer Overhaul... Some Questions

Hello again, everybody.

We got back from the Phish shows in Atlanta without a hitch in our 80 Westy, with the exception of miserable power on hills. We broke down three blocks from home after a 800 mile round trip. Thank heavens for small favors, but now......

The Problem: Died at a stoplight yesterday, oil not even showing up on the dipstick, following 2.5hrs of driving at 65mph. Added oil, couldn't get it to start (whirring starter, slow). Two cops push up off the road and we're towed home by (thank god) AAA. This morning I cleaned up the (dirty) points and adjusted them, as well as the idle air screw on the carb. It started up (rough) and idled roughly, and all kinds of white smoke started coming out of the breather box tube which hangs underneath (charcoal filter not present on my vehicle). Bad news, so I got a compression tester from Discount Auto Parts and the readings were as follows: Cyl 1... Zero. Cyl 2... 30lbs. Cyl 3... 80lbs. Cyl 4... 50lbs.

Bad news, and all things considered (including the advice of Carl at the dealership)... I'm looking at an overhaul to find either a busted piston, wrecked rings, thrown rod, all of the above, the sky is falling, etc.

So... First Time Overhaul looms in the next week. I've removed the transmission to replace the front oil seal before successfully, so I sort of know what to expect with doing projects of this magnitude. Pics of the whole deal can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9860

Questions! 1. Can anybody give me a "ballpark figure" on what it would cost to replace my pistons and cylinders? 2. Is there such a thing as "remanufactured" pistons/cylinders? Ballpark figure on these? 3. I'm removing the tranny and engine together, then separate. Thoughts on this? It was the advice given to me by my friend at the dealership. 4. Ballpark figure for a valve job? (never had one)

Thanks in advance, everyone. Best regards and continued luck in life, Chris Gkikas, looking at another greasy episode.