Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jul 2000 22:04:15 -0500
From:         Katy <katya@netins.net>
Subject:      Temp Gauge Saga is Worse

Dear Volks, (or should I say "Dear people with the patience of JOB"??)

We have done as the Bentley, VW guru mechanic Chris, and "the council" has suggested. My temp gauge (when up to operating temperature) is still reading 3/4 with front heater on blasting. With the heater not on the gauge reads 2 needle widths away from the "hot" mark. Rear heater tubes are securely blocked, new low temp (180) thermostat,, new coolant, new belts, and in-between all this "burped" 4 or 5 times. I'm now a "burp expert", but still a sh***y vanagon mechanic. Don't know what else to do now. Called the VW mechanic and he doesn't either. Told me to check the single wire coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing for corrosion. Ah....that I can do. Yeah right, I searched the Bentley and I can't find the d**n thing. In the book it looks like some kind of screw in thing not a wire and it doesn't show where it attaches. Found 2 plugs (double wire) one on the driver side and one on the pass. side of the thermostat housing, but they look like they are part of the fuel injections system. Don't want to mess with that. I'm now 1/2 eaten alive by mosquitos, totally bedraggled and depressed as I write this. But still know I sure appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. Just getting desperate as I'm supposed to leave at 3pm tomorrow.

So tomorrow morning am going to friends shop and borrow their digital gizmo that reads the temperature of whatever you point it at to see what the actual temp is. If it reads below 200 I'm outa here. If not.....I'm sunk. I bought this Westy just so I could do Inspections in the warm months and save small farmers some money and go to a few sheepdog trials. My hair has turned gray in patches.

Naughty, naughty Jezebel after I get you fixed I just might find you a new home where they will treat you real bad. You know the kind of people that party all the time, never change your oil and puke on your upholstery,

Katy 89 Westy 2.1 NE Iowa