Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:40:01 -0700
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@gene.com>
Subject:      Strange noise after being parked/interesting C/arm problem...

Since the real list is apparently back in service, I feel pressure to post a plethora of pent-up problems.

1) After not driving my '87 Westfalia for about a week, I started it up and noticed that it makes a sound similar to tappet noise. The van has been parked in a slightly sloping driveway, so I'm wondering if a lifter has bled down.. I didn't drive the vehicle or let it warm up, just ran it for a minute or so. Can anyone tell me if WBX lifters occasionally bleed down, or is this more likely an exhaust leak? The van sounded fine last time I drove it, so this noise seems to have developed since that time, if that's possible.

The motor is a VW factory rebuilt unit (according to receipts that came with the van) with less than 20K on it, and the exhaust system is an after market header and muffler. I recently installed a new converter and noticed that there was a slight misalignment between the exhaust pipe and aftermarket muffler. Could bolting everything up tight have opened an exhaust leak somewhere? The noise doesn't really sound like an exhaust leak, but I'm open to all possibilities.

2) I installed new KYB GR2 shocks in the front of my van last weekend. The rears are next, but I thought I'd get the harder-to-install pair out of the way first. Anyway, on the driver's side, I noticed that the lower control arm had a conical, split metal expansion "bushing" installed where the shock bolt goes through. It looked like a repair piece for a worn out bolt hole that had been drilled out. (?)

As the shock bolt had rusted onto the old shock, I had a hell of a time getting it out because of this odd "feature" as the I couldn't tap the bolt out from the other side like you would normally do. Has anyone run across this repair piece before? It seems to work great as a way to salvage the lower control arm, but I haven't seen this before.

Also, as noted by other posters, the new, top rubber bushing and retainer that comes with the KYB's is kind of flimsy looking compared to the stock VW pieces. I re-used my factory bushing and larger, beefier retainer, as they looked fine. I would recommend this to others that go with the KYB's.

-- Dan __________________________________________________ Dan Schmitz - Genentech Automation Engineering djs@gene.com (650) 225-6119 __________________________________________________

"I'll so offend to make offense a skill Redeeming time when men least think I will"

W. Shakespeare Henry IV, Part 1