Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:46:04 -0700
From:         steve delasalle <sdelasal@yahoo.com>
Subject:      Re: Painted my poptop...
Comments: To: Daniel Schmitz <djs@gene.com>

What kind of preparation on the pop top did you do before painting- wash,scrub, sand?

Steve

--- Daniel Schmitz <djs@gene.com> wrote: > After much deliberation (attempt factory color or > just go with white), I > painted the poptop on my '87 Westfalia. I found a > color that closely > approximates the factory blue that went with my > metallic blue body. For > others out there with the metallic blue of '86 - > '89?, you can try > Pettit brand "EasyPoxy" in "Slate Blue". It's > actually a topside > fiberglass paint for boats, and I got it at West > Marine. This is a > single part polyurethane gloss. It goes on really > nicely with a brush, > and is self-leveling, although you have to allow a > lot of time to let it > dry before you apply a second coat. It tends to go > on lighter than the > final shade, and then darkens a bit as it dries. > It's not an exact > match, but it's really close. I think it looks > pretty good. One quart > will cover about 150 square feet, and I used less > than half a quart for > a first coat on the poptop and two coats on the > luggage rack. I will be > applying a second coat to the poptop as well. Now > all I need is a set of > new, gray "Westfalia" decals. > > I also purchased new seals (bulb type for the > poptop, non-bulb type for > the luggage rack) and will be installing them soon. > They seem to be > really nice seals, in that they are of a simpler > design than the factory > ones, yet grip the top very tightly. I am hoping for > no noise from the > luggage rack with the bulbless seal, but if there is > some, I can simply > order the alternative bulb-type seal to close up any > gap between the > rack and the roof. At less than $20, I think it's > worth the > experimentation. > > The van is currently parked as I don't want to drive > it without the > luggage rack in place. See my other post about > possible lifter noise > experienced when I started it up last weekend. > > -- > Dan > __________________________________________________ > Dan Schmitz - Genentech Automation Engineering > djs@gene.com (650) 225-6119 > __________________________________________________ > > "I'll so offend to make offense a skill > Redeeming time when men least think I will" > > W. Shakespeare > Henry IV, Part 1