Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:02:41 -0700
From:         John-Reed Maffeo <rlpa80@email.sps.mot.com>
Subject:      Throttle position switch cam was: Cold Idle Surge
Comments: cc: KENWILFY@aol.com

KENWILFY@aol.com wrote:

> > Sounds like your throttle position switch is either bad or not adjusted > properly. With the van off you should hear a click when you move the > throttle to full position and then another click when the throttle is slowly > returned to idle position. If it doesn't click then you need to adjust it > per Bentley or it may be bad or the small plastic cam that works the switch > could be worn out (happens alot). You might be able to get away with

The switch that I got from Camelback VW to replace my broken one did not mate correctly with the cam on the throttle shaft. I asked for a different one, but was told that there was only one part number and that it was the only switch available.

I asked about getting a new cam and was quoted the price for a new throttle body because the only way to get a new cam is to get a new throttle body(insert angry, confused looking emoticon here).

My solution was to build up the cam using epoxy putty. It works now, but I am not confident that this is a long term solution.

> tweaking the arm on the switch to compensate for a worn cam (I've done it a > few times with success).

I hate the thought of spending 30-50 dollars for a new part and then having to attack it with a pliers to make it work. I think that selling the switch without the appropriate cam is not in the best interest of the consumer.

>I have the throttle position switch available if > you need one. Hope this helps you. >

John-Reed Maffeo '86 Syncro Glacee Mesa, AZ