Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2000 06:38:03 EDT
From:         kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@juno.com>
Subject:      Re: Musings on completed CV job
Comments: To: Jshopper1@aol.com

Let me add to this that the majority of CV failures (lately) on my vehicles are the boots. I still recommend you crawl under the bus occasionally and look around.

Drive Safely & Good Luck Ken Lewis <Kernersville,NC> 86 VW crewcab;60 356B Coupe --------------------------------------------------

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:55:06 EDT Dennis Lockwood <Jshopper1@aol.com> writes: >Vanagoners, > >While the list was down, I decided to do a CV replacement job. I did >it >myself, it was not difficult. It was very messy, all that grease. > >After 30 years of VW ownership, 29 years of Type II ownership and 20 >years of >water cooled VW ownership I have formed the following conclusion. Can >any of >you verify this with your experiences? > >In my experience, VW CV's give lots and lots of warning when they are >about >to fail. I have never had one fail as I always replace them before it >is too >late. Case in point, my 91 Carat. It has been making the familiar CV >joint >warning knock for almost a year. But, it would knock one time >(usually >starting from stop on a turn) for a few dozen yards and quit. It >would not >repeat for (give or take) a month. Then it would do it again one >time. >These symptoms went on for about a year, enough time for me to >purchase >replacement CV's. Then it did the familiar knock routine twice in the >same >week. That sent me over the edge and I replaced both CV's on the >passenger >side immediately. > >By the way, my Vanagon has an automatic transmission so swapping half >shafts >was not an option. > >The repair took 4 or 5 hours of my time. I had to run down to FLAPS >and get >them to press off the old CV from one end. I was able to beat the >other old >CV off with my trusty 8 pound hand sledge and a drift. > >For those considering trying this repair, do it. It is not difficult, >just >messy. Bentley does not offer too much help, but you can figure it >out. My >advice, do both CV's on a half shaft. If you need advice, the list is >here >to help. > >Dennis Lockwood >91 Carat >Original Owner

________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.