Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:40:36 -0400
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@enter.net>
Subject:      Re: Temp and Bleeding system
Comments: To: Katy <katya@netins.net>

Katy,

> To my dismay when I opened the expansion valve the color of my > supposedly 2 new @ $10.59 a gallon orange Dexcool was olive greenish .

Two things hit me here...

1) $10.59 seems high. I get Dexcool for $7.99 (not on sale) at NAPA here in PA.

2) 2 gallons coolant = 4 gallons 50/50 mix with water = 16 quarts. The Vanagon system holds over 18. Either he didn't put enough in or it's diluted. Also, it's good to have extra premix under the back seat.

If he flush and filled from the back and didn't disconnect radiator hoses, the thermostat probably never opened because he put new cold coolant in the system. Thus the new coolant never got up to the radiator. This can also happen if the thermostat didn't open correctly despite running up to temperature.

One other thing...the sender for the dash gauge is on the forward end of the thermostat housing. Pull the connector off and make sure it's not corroded, thus causing a bad connection=bad signal.

> We got air out but no coolant ever came out of the rear bleeder and we > followed the Bentley and list advise ver batim. (is coolant supposed to come > out of the rear too?)

If you're talking about the little plastic thumbwheel, no, you won't get liquid.

BTW, don't forget to open both heater valves (i.e. turn the heat on).

> Took it for a drive and I'm still funning 3/4. So tomorrow we're going to > put in the new 180 degree thermostat and BLEED it again.

The thermostat is drop-in, but beware of snapping bolts and cracking stuff on the plastic housing. Spritz some penetrant on the bolts as soon as you can so they can soak for a while.

> Ended up putting on a new clamp and think that's finally fixed. Looked like > its been leaking a while too. That was something I was told was taken care > of yesterday. Hubby says it was the clamp. Acts like it tightens but really > didn't.

Haha, you sound like VW person already. The old "while I was crawling under the bus fixing this or that, I noticed..."

-Karl

Karl & Kristina Bloss, Trexlertown, PA - '87 Weekender "Bev" - 199K Miles http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw - vanagon@makarov.com VW Shop List: http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/vwshops PA/NJ/DE/MD area VW bus "group" http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/pavanagon Red Hat LINUX 6.2 - for IQs higher than 98