Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:57:31 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>
Subject:      Re: what is POL fitting?
Comments: To: "Michael J. Sullivan" <sullivan@openmarket.com>
Comments: cc: Robert Zezoff <shilohz@jps.net>

At 07:56 7/12/2000, Michael J. Sullivan wrote: >Dear David, > >Won't the propane tank accessories listed in the "Camping World" catalog >allow him to do this? There are several to choose from. I believe he would >want to install his "tee" connection BEFORE the regulator -- allowing him >to hook it up to most anything.

Ok, I made an assumption here that he wanted to fill the Westy tank from a BBQ tank. It has certainly been done, ask our friend in the Phillipines...but it's not an approved procedure and requires a good bit of knowledge to do safely. Someone who doesn't know what a POL fitting is does not have that knowledge, IMO, and I'm not going to tempt him....

OTOH if in fact he simply wants to use vapor from the BBQ tank to supply the appliances and save the existing fuel in the Westy tank, then yes, there are arrangements -- Extend-a-Stay is the one I'm familiar with -- which insert a special tee fitting between the outlet valve (female POL) on the tank and the regulator. The gotcha is that they are about four inches long and will require rearranging the plumbing noticeably. Under *NO* circumstances could they be installed *after* the regulator unless the BBQ tank was itself equipped with the proper RV-approved two-stage regulator. In any case, the RV dealer is still a good place to start, I think.

cheers david David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"