Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:47:59 -0700
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@ipa.net>
Subject:      Weddle Tranny rebuild report

Dear Listees: After 6 months of driving the Millennium Falcon III with no third gear due to the slider hub cracking and locking up everytime I'd use 3rd gear, I had saved enough money for a rebuilt tranny. Daryl at AA wanted $800 for a core charge so if I wanted to keep my old tranny, that pretty well killed that deal. Weddle eng. only wanted $400 for the core and prepared the unit in about 10 days time. I had them put a 4.57 r/p in it and the .77 4th gear. Total bill was about $1500(decided to send the tranny back and get the $400 knocked off my Visa). also bought the red line mtl and a short shift kit(yet to be installed) from them and I recommend that if you don't want to pay the $50 min. charge by going directly through Gene Berg ent. since the shift kit is only $20 and Berg sells little else for the Vanagon.

OBSERVATIONS: At a true 70 mph, the engine is spinning a whopping 3400 rpm now. The vacuum gauge reads lower due to the increased load, but the mpg hasn't been affected that I can tell(may have gone up a little now that I don't have to double shift from 2nd - 4th all the time!). There's a 14-1600 rpm drop-off from 3-4 now, but the 4.57 now allows me to pass the blue hairs going 50 mph on a winding 2 lane road by dropping it into 3rd gear and stopping on it. My engine is tired at 151k and the compression is getting pretty low, so climbing long grades with this r/p and .77 4th is yet to be experienced and will prolly suffer some. The long range plan is to drop a 2.3 or 2.5 5 cyl in there and that will solve the power issue. Haven't ruled out a TDI either. Baby needs torque!! Very satisfied customer here and would recommend them to all. Almost bought one of the $1400 new trannys from Bus Depot, but really wanted the ratio change.

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel 90 GL 151k. daily driver AR Tranny is quiet as a mouse, shifts like a dream