Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2000 22:44:55 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@earthlink.net>
Subject:      Re: Temp gauge/coolant Saga Con't.
Comments: To: Katy <katya@netins.net>

It won't make much very difference whether you plug the hoses or connect them together. These hoses tap off from the heater hoses that go to the front heater. If you connect them together you are allowing more coolant to flow right back to the water pump and less will be available to go to the front heater. In very cold weather you may regret not just plugging them. The heads will have more coolant flow through them if they are connected and this may help in very hot conditions. This is a can of worms and I just opened it wider. I have done it both ways and it really won't matter much except at the extremes.

Mark Katy wrote: > > Hi Volks > > Well we put in the lower temp thermostat and began the bleed process > heaters on. Now here's where things get interesting. 5 min goes by > and no coolant or air is coming out of the radiator bleeder. (getting > warmer mind you) I'm in the back, coolant in hand by the expansion tank > watching frequent bubbles escaping. 5 more min, 10 more, still no > coolant bleeding out by the radiator. Something is wrong with this > picture........Temp gauge is right around the middle, she's not hot. > Start furiously looking around because it's not circulating (I think) > Ah hah.....notice a little steam coming out of the rear heater vents. > Open seat lid quick and throw everything out on the ground (I know "the > council" knows ;o) A LITTLE (thank the vanagon gods) coolant near the > rear heater core on the floor. And guess what IT'S GREEN with some > orange around too ! We found the blockage and/or another leak. Check > temp and right at 3/4th's. Things are starting to steam and bubble. > Nothing out of the radiator bleeder, take out entire bleeder, she blows > coolant all over, Expansion tank is now bubbling high and > squirting/steaming up in the air. Temp still at 3/4 th's. (had Gabe in > the drivers seat keeping the 2000 rpm and yelling out temp readings > every 5 seconds) Close everything up and shut her down. Clamp hoses, > connect together, take out heater core. (temp still reading 3/4 th's) > Exciting stuff, burping Jezebel, huh??? > Preliminary evidence seems to indicate a tiny leak at both hose > connections on the heater core itself. Larry will test tomorrow by > plugging up one side, applying one half to one pound of pressure and put > a liquid leak detector on it tomorrow. (this tester is used to detect > leaks in liquid propane and vaporized propane so it should detect if > there are any actual leaks in the heater core) Also will see if it is > plugged up. We think??? > Other vehicle experience tells us that we can just connect the two > hoses that go to the heater core together (without the rear heater core, > if it is bad) and I can take off for my work in Michigan . Sure don't > need rear heat in July. We can deal with it when I get back. > If we're going to do something wrong (or already did) PLEASE council > sirs and madams, tell us before we make it worse. I could find nothing > in the Bentley about doing this, yet anyway. > > As always, thanks so much in advance for all replies. > > Katy > (now humble servant to the vanagon god's) > 89 Westy "Shame on Jezebel " > NE Iowa