Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jul 2000 13:52:27 -0700
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@ipa.net>
Subject:      Re: FW: smoke inside the van??
Comments: To: njacobs@rmi.net

This could be one of the AC relays overheating. It went too far on my van when previous owner allowed this to happen and fire resulted Not major, but no more AC. Febreeze got the smell out. eventually

DM&FS -----Original Message----- From: Nathan Jacobs <njacobs@rmi.net> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, July 13, 2000 11:00 AM Subject: Re: FW: smoke inside the van??

<<Driving down the freeway my wife made the comment about something smelling weird, like smoke. She was sitting in the back and thought the smell was coming from the rear heating vent. When I looked over my shoulder I saw smoke (white) rising from the rear of the van (inside). We immediately pulled over and got the family out. >>

We had exactly the same experience! (whether the reason is the same or not i don't know). Scary to look in the rearview mirror and see smoke!! I had inadvertently turned on the rear wiper when i had a bike rack on the back. It got stopped mid stream and before I realized what had happened the wiper motor had burned up, it was on a couple of hours before it did though. We did the same thing - got the family out, ripped the bike rack off, threw all the luggage in the snow (we were at the top of Vale Pass) and with fire extingisher in hand ripped the cover off the engine compartment but no smoke there. I looked at the bottom of the rear hatch lid and i could see burnt insulation. It still smells like smoke and that happened back in February. We also have fluid that spilt on the rear heater coils and that really stinks!! Every time we turn on the rear heater. But I wouldn't call it a smoky smell. Just a noxious chemical smell. Needless to say we don't turn it on.

Kimberly Jacobs 87 Wolfsburg Weekender