Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:12:24 -0400
From:         David Ricketts <david@renaissance-design.com>
Subject:      Bus Depot Fuel Tanks

Since I asked so many questions about the fuel tanks from Bus Depot, I thought I should at least tell everyone about my experience.

Dealer tank is $500 Bus Depot is $170. Dealer tank does have some half hearted baffles, didn't think to look in Bus Depot, but the gauge dips when I turn corners indicating to me no baffles, or small ones. Bus Depot drop ships them so they can't go and look at one and tell you if they have them.

There is a question between 50mm and 70mm intake sizes. Once again since they are dropped shipped, they cant answer any specific questions. Their recommendation is to measure the hole in the tank when it is out. This is unfortunate since once you get the tank out you would like to put the new one in right away. There IS a solution, however! Since the filler tube goes INTO the hole in the tank, you can measure the filler tube diameter at the tank with the tank in the car. This measurement will neither be 50mm nor 70mm, since there is a sealing gasket around the edge of the tank where the pipe goes in. You can determine which one it is, since the OD of the filler will be less than 50mm if it is a 50mm hole or between 50mm and 70mm if it is a 70mm hole. Mine measured 62 mm and was indeed a 70mm tank.

Shipping - the tanks aren't shipped well, i.e. they are put in a single layer cardboard box and shipped with nothing else. Bus Depot has experienced these pains and now only ships priority mail, since they seem to be gentler. My tank had 2-3 dents in addition to 2 dents on the seam/edge. These actual split apart the lip of the two haves but didn't seem to damage the weld (it doesn't leak).

Fuel sender - I also bought a new fuel sender from Bus Depot, which worked, but not with the stock O-ring, the mechanic took one from a transmission, I think, and made it fit. (problem is stock O-ring is too thick).

Fit - the tank fits fine, except that the breather tubes will need to be bent and 'stretched' a little to make everything connect, but not a big job.

Recommendations - Buy a tank from Bus Depot. You can't beat the price, and the problems are typical of any non-dealer part. It would be nice if Bus Depot could workout better shipping arrangements. Also, My mechanic got all new accessories from the dealership. This ran me another $160. I recommend getting all of the seals Bus Depot sells and the filler pipe ($125 from the dealer, but is a new improved design and seals alot better). Mine was rusted (along with the tank). To do a 'factory' install you will still need a few parts from the dealer, such as the foam pads that the tank sits on and some seals for the cross over tubes. Or just use your old ones.

Conclusions. Bus Depot offers us a good deal on an OK part. Wish they could be better informed about the parts (how to tell 50mm or 70mm) and provide better shipping (this is really the manufacture's fault, since they are drop shipped Bus Depot isn't involved, however, they get my money so they are first in line for criticism).

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

David