Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:43:14 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <brent@vanagon.com>
Subject:      Re: Washing and drying your van.
Comments: To: kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@juno.com>

Oh oh, I see a whole new thread forming... :-)

I actually have found that using soft water (we have very hard water here in SB) and a rubber squeegee does the trick for me. I can dry the entire van with a single towel after I squeegee off the excess water. The flat surfaces make it really easy. I use a soft rubber squeegee that is entirely made from plastic, BTW.

I also use an electric orbital buffer to wax that van afterwards, and it only takes about an hour to do the entire van (not including the pop top). I use the buffer to apply the wax (I use McGuire's), let it dry a bit, then rub it off with a towel (or two).

Then I use McGuire's "Black Magic" (I think that is what it is called) for the bumpers and black parts. It is the ONLY product out of dozens that I have tried that actually keeps the parts nice and shiny black for more than a single washing. (It lasts a month or more in my experience).

I also use Chem-Dry carbonated cleaner for the upholstery if needed. It comes in a blue cannister and is available at Home Depot (or from your local Chem Dry carpet cleaner - they'll even deliver it to you). About $5 a can. It works miracles. I actually removed a red wine stain from our white berber carpet (in the house) - after that, I was sold! :-)

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy "Klaus" Santa Barbara, CA

----- Original Message ----- From: "kenneth d lewis" <kdlewis@juno.com> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2000 3:33 PM Subject: Washing and drying your van.