Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jul 2000 06:29:34 -0700
From:         "ThomasD. Hanlon" <hanran@earthlink.net>
Subject:      Re: poptop screen available?
Comments: To: Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@mb.sympatico.ca>

Jeff,

We just replaced deteriorated OEM, white, screening without removing any of the components of the poptop. Our Westy poptop tent is a "one holer." We used "no-see-ums," (suggested by a Listee) a kind of small orificed, very fine, screening which we purchased from a camping equipment shop. The material is strong Nylon, neutral in color.

Our technique:

Measure the gross RECTANGULAR shape of the front screen, (in our case) even though it has rounded upper corners, and make sure that you retain the right angles at the bottom of the screening. Leave undisturbed whatever existing screening that is in place.

Buy at least two and a half times as much of the "no-se-eums" as you'll need for one screen, so you can make two screens, while you are at it, and have one for a reserve, as we did.

Create a stiff paper/cardboard pattern of the existing zippered dimensions of the existing screening complex. Round the top corners. Keep the bottom corners angled. Measure to the outer dimensions of the seam of the zippered components. Cut the "noseeums" about an inch larger than the pattern. Then, have a seamster/seamstress (in my case a talented and generous spouse) using heavy thread, machine sew cotton quilt binding tape, available, FOLDED, in sewing supply shops, around the cut-to-fit-the-pattern "no-see-ums" material.

Use four or five pound Nylon fishing line as thread. Use a heavy, long and sharp needle and 24" lengths of doubled thread. Standing on a stool/ladder, inside the open poptop, with the original screening intact and zippered closed for tension, pin the new top to the edge of the old zipper. (See CAVEATS below.) Whip stitch the bound edge of the screening material to the edge of the zipper. Begin at one side and work your way around across the top and down the other side. It is a tedious chore. Don't rush.

The next part of the process, to sew the bottom, horizontal, part of the screening, is a "high wire" cooperation. One of two participants sits on the baggage rack and, when necessary, holds the fabric taught and/or passes the needle to the interior partner. Remove the original screening, by careful scissoring, as you progress, so you can access the bottom of the original canvass. Whip stitch the edge of the new screen to the old canvas top. The corners are difficult. You will need the second person at this point to pass the needle back and forth.

You can purchase a hand sewing machine for these phases of the screening restructuring from a Taiwanese manufacturing firm. I found on the WWW for about $30.00 at http://www.allproducts.com/siangsiu/sh-039.html, but you have to buy 500 sets. I needed the job done immediately, so I passed on that opportunity. There may be a List vendor market potential for this item.

CAVEATS: Measure three times. Cut once. Center the screening perfectly around the upper curves and along the sides, and pin accurately. Tack the two bottom corners early, so you are sure to close the bottom corners correctly. Avoid too taut a fitting. Leave a bit of slack, so you'll not rip the "noseeums" upon opening the poptop.

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA 84 Westy