Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:53:18 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Subject:      Re: anti-seize + oxy sensor ??
Comments: To: Eric Giroux <eric.giroux@nrc.ca>

Eric,

Most likely you have ruined the 02 sensor. They are sensitive to various chemicals and unless the jar of anti-sieze specifically states that it "won't harm oxygen sensors" it probably will. the exhaust heat burned off some stuff in the compound that poisoned your sensor.

I have never used any for this in 200,000 miles and never had a problem with them seizing. Just buy the Bosch universal for about $40, works fine, even in the three wire systems, just get the wiring right! Or you might even just replace your old one if the car was running okay, they can last a long time with a properly running engine, easily over 100k.

Eric Giroux wrote: > > Mmmm...this hit me in the face when I woke up this morning... > > I installed a new oxygen sensor at the end of last year, and I used > anti-seize compound on the threads. I just realized that my famous 'bucking > syndrome' started some time after that. Some might argue that this syndrome > adds character to the van/owner, but I'm not there yet. Don't want it! > > Is it possible that this compound is interfering with the sensor's > function? The compound is made by Lock-Tite, small plastic grey jar, bought > at Canadian Tire. > > The symptoms are rich-running, to a point where one of the plugs fouled and > I was running on more or less 3 cylinders. Replaced the plugs: van is > nice, fast, and smooth (for a couple of days). Then it's running rough again. > > BTW, 84 westy. > > Éric

-- Stuart MacMillan Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia '65 MGB (Driven since 1969) '74 MGB GT (Restoring)

Assisting on Restoration: '72 MGB GT (Daughter's) '64 MGB (Son's)

Parts cars: '68 & '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT