Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jul 2000 18:00:59 -0400
From:         The Gunnings <ngunn@landmarknet.net>
Subject:      Mooncaps

Due to questions about my new/old mooncaps, I think they look pretty good. When I refer to "mooncaps", for those of you who might be tempted to do this at home, it is the older style with the embossed VW logo stamped in the centre. Technically, for those nit-pickers out there (and you know who you are), I believe there is another older style hubcap with a higher dome angle and maybe without the VW logo. And to further complicate matters I think it is known as the official older VW "Mooncap". In any event, in order to get these to fit on all wheels, you may have to do a minor adjustment on one of the mooncaps, the one where the speedo cable juts out of the end of the (what is it left front wheel?) at the hub terminal. You do not do anything to the cable, or anything to the vehicle. Just to the mooncap. Because of the small protrusion of the speedo cable end, or whatever, the exact centre of the mooncaps needs to be gently persuaded in an outward direction (out is out) prolly bout 3/16". I did this with "Maxwell", my silver hammer, but any small ballpean hammer should do the trick. Place the hubcap on your workbench, or other solid object, upon which has been placed a large socket, or other circular devise, with the big opening end in the up direction (up is up) facing the sky. Place the mooncap on top and in the centre of the large socket. Hold your hammer, and using the ballpean end as the striking surface, tap as steadily and comfortably rapidly, or however you want to for about a minute. Try it and see if it will stay on the wheel without wanting to pop off. Repeat this step as many times as necessary. Think I may have done if half a dozen times. Don't whack the thing too hard The trick, if there is one, is to try to keep all of your hammer strokes centred within the area the size of a dime, or so. If you whack the thing too hard, or in a larger area, you will put a noticeable dent in the moonie. Try to avoid doing that, if you can. The trained human eye, which is capable of discerning a 1/16 " discrepancy over a twenty foot span, will be hard pressed to detect the slight amount of hammering you have done on your new/old VW Moons, if at all. Works for me.

David Gunning Lovell, ME 04051

"The Mechanical Arts are the Swords of the Mightly."

Anon