Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 2000 06:37:56 -0700
From:         Frank & Susan Malinowski <yakers@earthlink.net>
Subject:      Our First Road Trip

After a much too challenging initial exposure to our "new" 1985 Westy we have now had the family trip we had hoped for. About a couple months ago we acquired a spiffed up 1985 Westy automatic which we planned to use for family trips. This was downsizing from our 1974 Class C RV which now felt too big since the departure of our older son. My wife and I and our 11 year old son were hungry for road trips.

But the Westy promptly proceeded to die all over southern California. After having the water pump, starter, battery, alternator and some minor parts replaced it seemed to run OK except for the occasional refusal to start. The last such event occurred at the VW West Coast Classic parking lot. Rather than call AAA again (I had already used up my annual call quota) we went to the announcer who was kind enough to invite VW mechanics to assist us. (Not before having a bit of humor for our having a VW as "new as 1985" (boo), watercooled (boo) and an automatic (boo-hiss).) A bunch of fellows came from every direction including "Norm" who seemed to have owned 7 of this specific configuration and worked on something like 200 of them. Solved the problem by getting us going and advising the installation of a supplemental starter setup. That was the first order of business upon returning to our home in Pasadena, CA. With the supplemental starter switch the Westy seemed to start regularly. (Good VW mechanic in Pasadena (Steve's VW)if anyone is interested .)

So we were off on our family trip up the California coast. We took in Pismo Beach, Santa Cruz, and Monterey. We camped in Big Basin and then for 5 glorious days in Big Sur. On the way down the coast we were able to get a camp site at San Simeon State Beach. We had planned for a 9 day trip but things went so well we extended the trip to 11 days. We had to learn to manage space. Everyone had two bags one packed away and one available while driving. A discipline to get a "home" for each item (flashlights, food, cloths, sunscreen and the like) and return each item to its place after use is really necessary. Probably good for us. The steering is a bit squirrellly in cross winds and ocean gusts. Never lost control but I am looking to replace the front tires which look like automotive types (Goodyear Regatta) as I had already replaced the rears with Laredo LT tires and the rear held fairly well. (Still well below the stick of my wife's Miata.)

The Westy was flawless. Started and ran well. The refrigerator lit every time and we didn't run out of propane with our cooking and cooling. The 12V runs seemed OK and the one time we had hook ups the 120V cooling was great. I met two fellows with the new V6 VW Campers one had his 2 years and one less than a year and neither one had ever got their refrigerator to work off propane. Happy to show them mine. The AC worked enough to keep us cool in the few hot moments. One surprise is the fuel mileage, we only got 14-15 MPG, probably reflecting a lot of 2nd gear (automatic) driving on Hwy 1 and up and own hills and just pushing a lot of weight and space through the wind. Less than what I expected (not all that much better than our old Class C which got 10 to 11 MPG but had a Dodge 360 V8) but I am not trading in the Westy. The best part, apart from camping, is the fun of driving it.

So the real bonding has taken place. We have had our road trip and my son looks forward to some weekends of local camping during the school year and definitely a road trip next year. Looks like we now have the Westy we hoped for. And, with rigorous maintenance, we hope to keep it a long, long time.