Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:43:22 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@usa.dupont.com>
Subject:      '85 Radio Concern

I finally got around to re-wiring my Blaupunkt Mesa stereo so I could turn it on without the ignition switch. What I used was a spare rear window defroster switch. It has three common legs and one that is switched. I picked up 12V from the 4-way flasher which was right above the spare switch hole I used. I ran 12V (always hot) to one of the three common legs and from there to the radio (always hot) connection. I then ran a wire from the switched 12V leg to the radio. This would give me power to the stereo when camping. Before I re-installed the radio, I checked the operation with a my multi-meter and sure enough everything worked as designed. After installing the radio, all I got was a blinking time display "12:00", so I called the Blaupunkt service line. They told me the unit must have seen a voltage spike and would need to be looked at. It was out of warranty, so I shipped it to a recommended repair place for a look-see. ($15 bench fee....) My question to the list is, why did it fry? The engine was never started during this whole time, so it couldn't have been an alternator problem. I had the battery disconnected while soldering and taping. The stereo worked fine before the modification. I don't want the same thing to happen to the repaired unit (or a new unit, if that is the case). If the 4-way flashers were turned on while the radio was on, could this cause a voltage spike? Is there something odd-ball about the switch I used? I thought it was a pretty slick install, myself. If I removed and reconnected the (-) battery cable while the radio was on, would this have spiked it? Is the Blaupunkt guy feeding me a line?

Jay