Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Jul 2000 11:12:56 -0600
From:         "Jon B. Kanas" <kanas@quality.qadas.com>
Subject:      Behr AC; Air Leaks; Alarms; Scope Creep
Comments: To: Jeanne Maly <traveller57@cableone.net>

Jeanne,

Behr still makes radiators etc. for German cars as their primary business, so a condenser should not be difficult to obtain. It is the "aftermarket" AC products which they have discontinued. I suspect that the VW "factory" condenser and Behr are one and the same. On my Mercedes, both the radiator and AC condenser are Behr parts and also bear the Mercedes star and part number, indicating that the Behr products were OEM.

Air Leak: Be sure and tell the body shop about the air leak. I found that when my AC was installed, the oval hole which is required for the evaporator lines was poorly cut and had no seal at all, allowing a huge amount of air into the cabin around the evaporator tubes. On my installation, this opening was behind and below the right headlight, visible with the grille removed. My bodyshop fabricated a small piece of sheet metal and installed it with alot of goo to seal the area. Another probable source of air infiltration is the rubber seal where the brake lines go into the tunnel (under the radio, in front of the shifter). There is a large rubber seal which you can find if you remove the air duct; you might want to check this too.

Noisy Fan: I assume we're talking about the evaporator fan(s) inside the bus.... Getting to these fans requires removal of the entire dashboard; It is NOT a trivial job. Once the dashboard is out, they are easily accessed and removed from the evaporator housing. If the body shop will be removing the dashboard as part of your repair regimen, I would pay them extra to pull the fan motor(s) and send them to an electric motor shop for lubrication, and possibly bearings.

Alarm: I was able to mount the horn for the alarm directly behind the right headlight. The brain is very small, and I installed it next to the aux fusebox for the air conditioning on the tunnel, under the ductwork. This is very convenient as the wiring from the interior light switches is immediately accessible, as is power. I installed the LED status indicator in the blank plastic plate above the steering wheel, and the motion sensor below the tachometer. On the initial installation, the alarm horn was damaged beyond repair during a rainstorm (a little installation advise here). The alarm I have is brand Excalibur. It is much more sophisticated than I needed; it can be wired into your interior lights and electric locks for a keyless entry as well as alarm system. It has a current sensing option which I also turned off as the automatic fan on the refrigerator would trigger the alarm when it came on.

If you're going to perform the alarm installation yourself, it might be an ideal time to remove the entire dashboard, have the AC blower motors serviced, track down and kill all the air leaks, clean every connector you can find, tighten stuff etc. I did my alarm when I had the dashboard out working on the wiring problems for the AC. The alarm installation was simplified and I was able to solve all kinds of other niggly problems while I was in there.

Isn't it amazing how the scope of these little projects creeps up to consume all available time and money?

Regards; Let us know what happens!!! Jon