Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:58:18 MDT
From:         d t <tinkerman@usa.net>
Subject:      Re: [intermiitent ignition problem]
Comments: To: Richard C Welsh <welshcu@PB.COM>

Richard C Welsh <welshcu@PB.COM> wrote: > I tried to figure out which > ignition switch wires do what, hoping to jump them with an off-the shelf switch > as a test, but i have to learn to read the Bentley Wiring diagrams first.

It's easy (after a bit of leg work and head scraching...:-) I have the Haynes manual, with some samples of all possible wiring diagrams (not complete as the Bentley, but still better than nothing and then some. I think they're actually the same schematics, originally obtained from VW).

If you look at the ignition switch schematic (marked "D" in the schematic) you'll see it is a 4 pole, 3 position switch (i.e. 4 parallely operated switches with three positions each). The three positions are ignition off, run, and start. In my schematic I can see a short between two positions (run, start) only in one switch, i.e. all other switches provide +12v only in one position. 1. The input to the switch is unswitched +12V from the fusebox. 2. The output marked "50" (active only in the "start" position) goes to the starter solenoid, idle stabilizer and Digijet ECU. 3. The output marked "X" (active only in the "run" position) goes to the lighting switch. 4. The output marked "P" (active only in the "off" position) goes to the parking light switch. 5. The output marked "15" (active only in the "start" and "run" positions) goes to the instrument panel, amongst others.

Please note that I have mentioned only the main circuits, you can trace the schematics further if needed. I hope I have managed to help you start understand the schematics. I myself had to scratch my head a bit until I fully understood them. Have their own logic, unlike standard electrical schematics I'm used to.

good luck!

> also, I'm wondering if the fuel pump is cutting out and starving the engine. ( > It doesn't sputter, it just shuts down) does anyone know how to test fuel > system relays? might they overheat and open/close intermittently? >

> HAs anyone tackled this problem recently, or have any ideas on what else to look > for?

Cheers, T-man

(P.S.: appologies if this response came rather late, as I'm practically swamped with incoming mail...)

____________________________________________________________________ Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1