Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:09:46 -0400
From:         "Carrington, Tom" <TCarrington@ReliTech.com>
Subject:      FW: Hello (New from PA)

Reply to Bart, not me!

-----Original Message----- From: bwinelan@alleg.edu [mailto:bwinelan@alleg.edu] Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 10:04 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Hello (New from PA)

Hello All:

(I wrote this to send in the day the router died and have since gotten the PA inspection completed and have put a few hundred miles on her, camped with it twice and can't wait for Friday when we are going again. The family (wife and 2 boys) love it.)

Saw where a couple new subscribers introduced themselves so I thought I should do the same. My name is Bart Wineland and I live in Conneaut Lake, PA that is about 100 miles due North of Pittsburgh. After several years of looking and hoping I finally stumbled into a '87 Westy that I could afford. I won't bore you with the details but I think I was pretty lucky. There just doesn't seem to be many available this direction. It is the flash silver and seems to run well, but needed some body work. Mostly had surface rust in the areas that seem to be pretty common. The quarter panel under the utility hookups was gone. I did some patching and attempted to paint it a couple weeks ago. I can say it is still flash silver (some areas have more flash than others) and is better than it was before I started, but that is all I can say. My hat is off to anyone that can paint a car and make it look good. I've painted a couple tractors before and started to fancy myself as not too bad. I don't think much of my skills anymore. There is a big difference between Farmall Red and a rusty tractor and Flash Silver on a VW. I do what I can myself and live with the results and sometimes find myself over my head so I appreciate this resource, it has been a huge help already. The original owner knew nothing about the special coolant you were supposed to use and it has had a steady diet of Prestone 2 or whatever in it, so am I on borrowed time on my head gaskets? The only problems he had in the 120k he put on it were he had the clutch replaced "not long ago" and some wiring repaired that a groundhog chewed through. I've put lift cylinders on the hatch, plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, full seal kit on the top, and have plug wires, and a tail pipe coming any day from "The Bus Depot" along with the Bentley manual. I have searched the archives and found a wealth of info. Last night I took the tips for lighting the fridge, which I had not been able to do, and this morning had tiny ice cubes for breakfast.

Thanks for allowing me to butt in.

Bart