Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:07:05 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@netcarrier.com>
Subject:      Re: Luggage rack seal...

> I was about to order two seals from Go Westy! Has anyone tried > theirs? Or are they just from the same supplier as Bus Boys?

Same as Bus Boys' and Motorworks' seal. Different from mine. My poptop and luggage rack seals were designed after careful consideration and experience. They are not off-the-shelf seals as sold by other vendors, but custom made to my specs, and in fact were The Bus Depot's first product.

The location of the insulation bulb on my poptop seal is lower, and closer to the original, than theirs. This may explain why one member recently reported that his Motorworks poptop seal did not seal well. Also, my poptop seal has a smoother finish which is closer to the original than theirs. Finally, Bus Boys and Motorworks (but not Go Westy) ship the incorrect seal for between the poptop and luggage rack seals; they merely ship another length of poptop seal, as opposed to the completely different weatherstrip that is supposed to be used there. My "flat seal" between the two seals is a virtually identical duplicate of the original, not just another piece of poptop seal.

I have said on this list before, and still feel, that a "bulbless" seal for the luggage rack is preferable, and closer to stock. 99 percent of the time it will NOT create any wind noise, and it WILL promote better rainwater drainage than a bulbed seal.

However, for those who would prefer a bulbed seal, I can certainly provide that. I will create a new part number on the website, LUGSEAL2, which is a luggage rack seal WITH an insulation bulb. If you do a part number search for this number, you can order this seal instead of the stock one with no bulb.

Now there is no reason not to buy your poptop seal from The Bus Depot. My poptop seal is superior to the competition's, as noted above. And if you feel that you want a bulbed luggage rack seal a la Bus Boys, Go Westy, etc., you can order it that way; it is your choice. Either way you will get a superior seal for not a lot of money.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW