Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:36:14 -0400
From:         "Carrington, Tom" <TCarrington@ReliTech.com>
Subject:      FW: '85 Radio Woes Continue

Please reply to Jay!

-----Original Message----- From: jlsnyder1@juno.com [mailto:jlsnyder1@juno.com] Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2000 7:56 PM To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: '85 Radio Woes Continue

Has anyone had problems with stereo upgrades due to the common negative wire VW uses from the dash back to the rear pair of speakers? I have messed up two stereo units for some reason, and this the only thing I can see I may have done wrong. (I described in my last post how I used a spare rear window defroster switch to allow me to run the radio without the ignition switch being on...) I double checked my 12V supply (switched and always hot) and my ground connection. I ran a new ground wire right to the dash. (The original radio shared a 12V and ground connection with the cigarette lighter or cigarette lighter light--I forget which. Could this shared ground have been the problem? ) When I get my Sony back from the shop--luckily it's still under waranty--I am going to try it with the rear speaker jack unplugged. I am thinking about running two pairs of wires from the dash to under the sink area and put in some speaker jacks for some small free-standing book-shelf units. These could be aimed wherever they need to be. Does anyone have any thoughts on the original problem?

Jay