Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jul 2000 08:33:39 -0700
From:         Mark Mages <wasserbox@yahoo.com>
Subject:      Re: Stereo status...long
Comments: To: Marc Perdue <marcperdue@adelphia.net>

> tape or CD player) that would fit was the Kenwood > KRC-2007 (15X2 W RMS,

A word on Crutchfield dimensions - the dimension they list is shorter than what will really fit. They give not only the depth of the radio, but also full sized RCA plug in the back. Add 3/4" to any depth they list and you are good to go. There is plenty of room in the dash to put the wiring elsewhere, and 90deg RCA plugs make a huge difference if you need them.

Left door wiring is always a problem. For some reason, a LOT of vans have broken wiring there. I ran mine outside of the boot after 2 breakages, and haven't had a problem since.

> After fixing the break properly and installing the > bass-blockers and > KDC-4015, I got these results: > 1) The low-end got worse. What do you expect? I > stripped everything off > below 600 Hz!

heheh - yup - you need something to fill that space. You will have decent sound at low volumes, but if you crank it be prepared for popping and crackling.

> Eclipse amp and 12" JBL > sub (cutting a big hole in the panel under the rear > seat to mount the > speaker . . . yikes!), all for a nominal fee of > around $500. Hmmm . . . > > Yah - the amp & 12" sub will not only get them a bigger commision, but they can also charge a hefty custom installation fee. Of course they recommended it :)

> If I were going to do it right, however, I would do > like Bulley did with > all of the heat and sound insulation, put tweeters > where the current front > door speakers are, put 6.5" speakers on the bottom > of the front doors and > put in the 12" JBL under the rear seat! :^)

a 10" sub is more than sufficient - unless you want to compete with the homies on the dragstip...

With the components - you want to put them as close together as possible. Something about "phase-coherence." Too technical to try and explain here, especially when I don't know that much about it ;)

A less time consuming (but definitely not AS good as Bulley's write up - I dream about doing that) would be to get some Dynamat spray damper, and spray the insides of your doors. A lot of the road noise comes thru there because there is essentially no damping foam on the door panels like most cars have. Also undercoating the bottom of the van helps. But that is a whole 'nother problem ;)

> More soon . . . after all, I can't stand to be too > long without decent > sound . . .

I lasted 2 months with the Heidleberg & 4" (more like 3 1/4") speakers. Plus my left door speaker was out.

===== Mark If you're not paranoid, you're not paying attention.

87 Westfalia Gl 84 Scirocco 8v http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/