Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:59:01 -0700
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@gene.com>
Subject:      Moral support...

Sears is having what they tout as the biggest Michelin tire sale of the season. So, I visited a local Sears Auto Center for a price quote.

I have the alloys on my '87 Westfalia full camper. I can get 4 Michelin MXT's in 205-70R14 at the sale price of $105 each. Including mounting and balancing and road hazard protection, I can be out the door for $560. (some sale!)

In contrast, I can order the same tires though my local Wheel Works for $93 each, and the whole bill comes to $505. Not a whole lot of savings, but then I thought $93/tire was expensive, so it's all relative. I've not seen the MXT's cheaper than this.

Obviously, I'm leaning towards Wheel Works price. But I feel in need of moral support before I plunk down 5 large for tires. I need to know that my van, which leans more in turns than the Andrea Gail did right before she capsized in "The Perfect Storm," will indeed handle better. This is a van that tends to make you "hold on" when going around corners. I've replaced the shocks and that helped a bit. I also inspected my swaybar linkages, and both are fine. It's the tires, mediocre General Ameri 400 passenger car radials. They must be almost flattening out when I take a turn. Increasing their air pressure did not help much, either. They just suck at being tires.

This van leans in turns a lot more than my '82 Adventurewagen, which is more top heavy. That van has the correct tires, though, (but not MXT's) so I am sincerely hoping that a new set of tires for my '87 will improve things.

Although the tire thread has been beaten to death, it's a lot of money to spend on tires, so any words of encouragement will help. Specifically, words to the effect that MXT's will change my life, and that they are the best tire for the alloy-wheeled Vanagon. Those kind of words.

Dan

-- Dan __________________________________________________ Dan Schmitz - Genentech Automation Engineering djs@gene.com (650) 225-6119 __________________________________________________

"I'll so offend to make offense a skill Redeeming time when men least think I will"

W. Shakespeare Henry IV, Part 1