Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:07:29 -0700
From:         Ty Graham <tyg@oz.net>
Subject:      ARB freezer/fridge report -- It rocks!

I took my Westy with ARB freezer/fridge out this past weekend.

The trip was Seattle to Wenatchee the first night then up to Winthrop for the second night, returning to Seattle via highway 20. About 450 miles total in 90 degree heat. (Yeah, but it's a dry heat ...)

In any case the ARB running off 12v just rocked! Drinks were ice cold, not the luke cold that I get from my perfectly functioning Dometic. The location behind the passenger seat was more convenient and more secure to open -- no more bracing for falling food. I mostly cook outside; fridge access from the exterior is actually more convenient.

The noise level of the running fridge was a periodic, every 20~ minutes for 2~ minutes, hum that made no impact on my sleeping. Not as quiet as the Dometic, but quiet enough.

I need to get a voltage check to see how long the ARB can run off the Optima aux battery. Batt gauge showed yellow for the last hour or so of a 24 hour overnight. Previous testing in my driveway showed 3 days to be no problem. I've still not tested the freezer.

I am now envisioning a world where the ARB is my only fridge. I'd like to put some drawers with a docking station for my Dell in the current Dometic location.

Down side is that we blazed through the super refreshing cold drinks. I need a larger fridge; I only have the 1 cubic foot model. I might be buying up a model if I go to exclusive use.

Pics of the fridge at my site: http://www.oz.net/~tyg/TyG/Carat.htm

Here's where I bought it. http://www.offroad-accessories.com/arb/freezer.html

Ty Graham '90 Carat '91 Syncro Westy '86 Syncro doublecab