Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:04:04 -0400
From:         John Haddad <jgh3rd@mindspring.com>
Subject:      FS: 1980 Westfalia Basic (P21) Model

List,

We were in the middle of restoring this camper when a knock began near the #3 cylinder. While soul searching on our next move, a friend who bought an '85 Deluxe after seeing this one offered us his, which we have recently bought. So, if you're interested, read on:

1980 Westfalia Basic (P21) Model ~96K miles. 4th owner.

Exterior: Fair condition. Original Ivory paint. Surface rust and rust around some window seals. No serious cancer. PO had put on cheapo window tinting which turned into a cloudy mess which I removed. Continuity of rear defroster elements were compromised in this process. Deer damage on nose, some minor dents here and there. Has a tow loops-mounted towball with elec. hookup. Utility inlets all missing doors, but all work. New poptop and luggage rack seals, new side view mirror.

Interior: Good to excellent condition. Original canvas with no holes. Has icebox and sink. Since it is the basic camper, it has more interior room which I sort of miss on my '85. The back seat goes all the way across (3 seats) and there is an extra 'camping' seat too. The water tank is larger than deluxe. Trim on cabinets has shrunken syndrome, utility LED panel is always on, so it is unhooked. Dark brown carpeting is in good condition. Wife reupholstered front seats which look and feel great! Rest of upholstery is original with no tears. Still has original bug screen for hatch and all curtains. Rear curtains are UV damaged and starting to fray. Has stock cupholder/cubby on dash.

Mechanicals: Engine needs work. The top end was redone before I bought it, but it may have been a quick and cheap ring/P/C job. I found pieces of the oil-scraper ring in the oil, so I'm guessing its rebuild time. Still runs, but on 3 cylinders with knocking sound. It has a slow oil leak that seems to be coming from the oil cooler.

Work done recently: engine compartment seal, shocks, 4 CVs, bearing repack, thermostat, fuel injector relay unit.

We've put a lot into this camper, and with a rebuilt engine and paint job would be a nice, roomy vehicle. It still drives straight and smooth. We are asking $2000 or best offer. I'd rather see it go to someone who will love it than part it out or junk it. If I had more room, I'd probably hold on to it, but its got to go. Located in State College, PA. Email me for more info or to check it out.

Thanks,

John Haddad jgh3rd@mindspring.com