Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jul 2000 08:41:58 -0700
From:         Jeanne Maly <traveller57@cableone.net>
Subject:      Carrying Spare Gas

Hi, volks.

Time is really running short for the caravana to South America. I have a new idea about how to carry extra gas and would like an opinion from the listmembers.

While offroaders generally carry jerry cans on the back of the vehicle, I believe this is a very dangerous thing to do when driving on the highway. A rear-ender will turn VnaJean into a Molotov cocktail.

One concern I've had about putting gas cans in the luggage rack was that I'm neither strong nor tall and would find putting them up and taking them down pretty tough. I went to West Marine last week and looked at gas tanks for boats. Some of these would fit very nicely in the luggage rack. (I'm thinking about a 6.5 gallon tank.) What I think is that I could actually fill the tank in place on the roof and, when and if the gas is needed, siphon it down into the Westy tank.

Oh, Volks Gurus, does this sound workable to you? Am I all wet?

Jeanne '87 Syncro Westy

[text/html]