Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Jul 2000 23:59:36 -0000
From:         Pat Dooley <pdooley@gte.net>
Subject:      Re: Performance Wasserboxer: Fact or Fiction

Some people will say it is worth it to upgrade a wasterboxer's hp. Maybe it is, I have never tried. I do think it would be more expensive in the long run.

I think a swap is a better approach to more power. You simply have far more choices this way. You can drop in a high torque TDI and still get great mileage or a chipped 220hp 1.8T VW/Audi gas motor. Kennedy makes adapter plates for most any other engine you can think of. Try a 3.8 turbo Buick mill or a Chevy 4.3 vortec. Almost anything is possible, especially if you have good salvage yards in your area.

I bought a complete Ford 2.3 turbo motor for $200 from my yard. This includes accessories, turbo, manifolds, wiring harness, computer, etc. With a free flowing exhaust and 20 psi, this motor puts out nearly 200hp. 200hp for less than some WB bolt-on mods. Not to slam anybody, but you don't need coatings, big valves, balancing or any other expensive machining to get 200 reliable horses from this mill. Head gaskets are $12. And you only need one. If you somehow blow a gasket, the head comes off in 30 minutes, and no machine work necessary(cast iron head).

Somebody with time, skill and motivation can make a conversion work much better than hoping up what VW stuck there originally.